Despite the warnings people traveled to XYZ and are now stuck. Who is responsible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<,y'all should come down here to dive knowing that you'll be taken good care of,>>

Actually we're/I'm more attracted to the <<they seem to be way on top of the virus thing >>

Could you send some of that capability here? We seem to need to it. Not sure if a smiley face is appropriate

Thanks, I plan to be back as soon as the coast is clear - stay safe and enjoy the great GC diving. Post pics so we can live vicariously through you for the time being!

Of course my underwater housing decided to flood a couple of weeks ago (surfaced fast enough to save the camera though, thanks to leak detector). And by the time I got it sorted out with meikon the Caymans stopped air travel so the replacement they are sending may never get here. I’ll post some from a couple of months ago

Of course my underwater housing decided to flood a couple of weeks ago (surfaced fast enough to save the camera though, thanks to leak detector). And by the time I got it sorted out with meikon the Caymans stopped air travel so the replacement they are sending may never get here. I’ll post some from a couple of months ago

I believe that Cayman Airways is still flying cargo out of MIA a couple times a week. Good luck

Quick question on the side - does the virus not spread through water? If one can get it from a swimming pool swimming with an infected person, one could possibly get it in the Ocean as well?
I've been told by a couple former students in the medical field that it cannot be spread through chlorinated pools.

The question is would you really want to be there if you got seriously ill?
This question never cross my mind when I am travelling even to 3rd or 4th world otherwise I would have to stay at home and watch TV.
As for being stuck in a foreign country. Nobody sent me there in the first place so I am responsible for my action/inaction.

This question never cross my mind when I am travelling even to 3rd or 4th world otherwise I would have to stay at home and watch TV.
As for being stuck in a foreign country. Nobody sent me there in the first place so I am responsible for my action/inaction.
I would not normally let the possibility of health issues prevent me from going most places either. However, this is something quite different and, in the midst of a building global health crisis related to a new virus as we now find ourselves in, I sure as hell want to be in a first world nation.

I would not normally let the possibility of health issues prevent me from going most places either. However, this is something quite different and, in the midst of a building global health crisis related to a new virus as we now find ourselves in, I sure as hell want to be in a first world nation.
If you are talking now, yes I would rather stay at HOME.
However, I am not convinced that staying in first world country will enhance your survival rate in this one. I could be wrong.
Take care.

Just as it's always okay to call a dive at any time for any reason, we should also be willing to call a dive trip at any time if events and risks are likely to take us beyond our comfort level.

However, it's also okay for other people to travel within their comfort levels if their risk tolerance/assessment differs from mine.

For my part, I live in a hurricane-prone area, so my house is always reasonably ready for us to hang on for a few weeks without external resources. It's where I'm most comfortable in times of uncertainty. In February, we were looking at two possible late Spring trips--Cozumel or Tahoe. We suspended planning pretty quick once we realized the virus was coming to this side of the world.

However, it's also okay for other people to travel within their comfort levels if their risk tolerance/assessment differs from mine.
Not necessarily - even if someone is following the letter of whatever the current restrictions are, today, they may not be following the spirit. And adding to the problems. I find it amazing the sorts of hoops people talk about jumping through to do something which is simply not a good idea.

Not necessarily - even if someone is following the letter of whatever the current restrictions are, today, they may not be following the spirit. And adding to the problems. I find it amazing the sorts of hoops people talk about jumping through to do something which is simply not a good idea.

Damselfish,

In today’s circumstances, you’re right. We all have an obligation to prevent spreading the virus unintentionally.

When I wrote that, I think I was thinking about late-Feb, early-Mar travel before we knew things were so serious, which is kind of where this thread started. Or it might have been my live-and-let-live streak showing through.

Whatever I was thinking then, yeah, travel now is a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom