Metric interface socket driver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeremy Williams

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm doing a DIY thing and I'm in the US... So when I want a socket driver I have one of these in my toolbox...
9FB6B716-542A-4AAA-ADEE-BA3D042ABEE7_1_201_a.jpeg

It has a 1/4 inch socket interface (the square end on the left) but I'm curious what my friends in not-the-USA have? What's the metric equivalent? I've tried searching and the amount of US-focused socket things with metric heads and 1/4 inch handle interfaces is drowning out the signal of what I'm looking for...

What is the rest-of-world equivalent to a 1/4 inch socket driver?

Most nuts and bolts are metric in Europe. But the drive end of the ratchet is imperial. They use the same standard: 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 ratchets.

Reactions: Zef
Wow. I suppose that’s why I couldn’t find anything else. I am really surprised there isn’t an all metric socket standard!

1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drives are the standard. They are used around the world.

Most nuts and bolts are metric in Europe. But the drive end of the ratchet is imperial. They use the same standard: 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 ratchets.
Exactly!
We use the same square drive, in three sizes, all in inches also here in Europe. The nuts can be either metric or imperial, you choose...
Square drive sockets were never made in mm !
So you can purchase millimetric nuts, and they will work perfectly on your drive (or dynamo-metric tool).

I’m actually building a tool that would be turned by a quarter inch driver. I wondered if I could have a single socket interface On the tool that I’m building that would work in the US as well as in other parts of the world. I guess I have my answer!

I’m actually building a tool that would be turned by a quarter inch driver. I wondered if I could have a single socket interface On the tool that I’m building that would work in the US as well as in other parts of the world. I guess I have my answer!
It will work everywhere!

I don't think the world will ever be able to completely abandon Imperial measurements for this very reason... too many deep rooted standards.

I'm curious what you're building

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom