My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I contacted my instructor and suggested we do the last classroom session via Skype.

I contacted my instructor and suggested we do the last classroom session via Skype.
When I did my rescue course through DRIS the other student attended through Skype and it worked perfect. We just watched the video and went through the questions for each chapter in the manual. Your classes are more advanced but it worked well.

When I did my rescue course through DRIS the other student attended through Skype and it worked perfect. We just watched the video and went through the questions for each chapter in the manual. Your classes are more advanced but it worked well.

Instructor already told me he does Skype with non-local students. We don’t have a lot left. Only about 3 hours.

Happy Belated Bday. I feel ya. I was supposed to go up to Boston this weekend to pick up my first drysuit and dive it, but I believe the governors on the east coast especially when I received a form letter to carry in our car if we need to go to work and are pulled over. Let me see your papers!!

Happy Belated Bday. I feel ya. I was supposed to go up to Boston this weekend to pick up my first drysuit and dive it, but I believe the governors on the east coast especially when I received a form letter to carry in our car if we need to go to work and are pulled over. Let me see your papers!!

Thanks. I have one of those letters, as well. We’ve got one of those governors here, too!

Our local quarry just announced they won’t be opening until 5/1. Stupid plague.

The temperature of the water he dives in isn't life threatening.

Not true.

I dive predominantly for the US Coast Guard these days, all over the country. I dive waters ranging in temperatures from mid 30*F to over 90*F, with a median temperature being probably in the mid to low 50's.

In *C that's 1.5* to 33*, with an average of about 12*... For a full work day, which is often 8-10 hours submerged.

The water temperature here i this video is 10*C... About 50*F. The gloves have an EN388 cut rating of 5, which (although not translating well to American ratings) would be about a 6 or 7 on the ANSI cut rating scale.

My recommendation? If you have to worry about holing a glove, then you need better gloves. I get that diving "sealless" seems scary - but the answer to getting holes in gloves isn't a wrist seal. The answer is, "tougher gloves."

We don't add ankle, leg, shoulder, and torso seals in our drysuits... Why would wrist seals be a logical solution?

I’m an active member with UASC. When we’re surveying wrecks we are touching them. The mussels are sharp little things. I’m keeping my Atlas blue smurf gloves and my seals. If the water is warm (60ish), I’m in thin reef gloves.

Atlas blue smurf gloves - better known as the 660, 490, or 495 depending on which version of them you're diving - have a cut protection rating of "1" on a 0-5 scale set forth in the European EN388 rating. They're loads better than the "0" offered by latex drygloves commonly offered by dryglove manufacturers, but are still just a "1," and frankly, somewhat thick and clumsy.

The gloves I am using in the video above are rated a "5" in cut protection... That is, there is no higher cut rating for a protective glove.

They're also thinner, stretchier, and warmer than the 660, 490, and 495. That is - they're more dexterous and give you more tactile feel and function. That's because they're made of neoprene (the flat stuff, not the foam wetsuit stuff) instead of PVC.

You literally can't buy a tougher glove... And no, oysters, barnacles, mussels, and clams will not cut them.

Atlas blue smurf gloves - better known as the 660, 490, or 495 depending on which version of them you're diving - have a cut protection rating of "1" on a 0-5 scale set forth in the European EN388 rating. They're loads better than the "0" offered by latex drygloves commonly offered by dryglove manufacturers, but are still just a "1," and frankly, somewhat thick and clumsy.

The gloves I am using in the video above are rated a "5" in cut protection... That is, there is no higher cut rating for a protective glove.

They're also thinner, stretchier, and warmer than the 660, 490, and 495. That is - they're more dexterous and give you more tactile feel and function. That's because they're made of neoprene (the flat stuff, not the foam wetsuit stuff) instead of PVC.

You literally can't buy a tougher glove... And no, oysters, barnacles, mussels, and clams will not cut them.
Totally agree on the whole marigold latex dish glove point, those are just awful.

Sadly for the showa 3416s, the dang things only come in black.
Hand signals with black gloves suck :/

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom