Covid-19 - Consumer Protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We are seeing holiday bookings being cancelled due to Covid-19. I thought it would be great to have a thread that explores the consumer protection that is available in various countries. Please share your knowledge of such consumer protection.

I just filed a claim with AIG/Travel Guard for my United flights to Denver...I never buy insurance, but is was cheap and for some reason I did. Steamboat closed down early due to covid19 and let’s see if TG stands behind its policy?

$ 548.00 for two RT tickets. I should know within 15 days.

I just filed a claim with AIG/Travel Guard for my United flights to Denver...I never buy insurance, but is was cheap and for some reason I did. Steamboat closed down early due to covid19 and let’s see if TG stands behind its policy?

$ 548.00 for two RT tickets. I should know within 15 days.

I don’t think you need to file any claim to travel insurance for that. I bought United tickets for going to Salt Lake City (SLC) for next week skiing vacation. When the ski resorts in SLC shutdown, United gave me a full credit of the roundtrip fare to be used for future trips without any penalty fee.

I'd like a refund...I already have 5 airline credits from various cancelled flights...if all I get is a credit, so be it, but since I purchased ins, let's see how it plays out

Does anyone know what consumer protection legislation there is in America? If I had used an American travel agent to book a LOb, would the cost of my holiday have been protected in any way for cancellation due to covid-19 travel bans?

Does anyone know what consumer protection legislation there is in America? If I had used an American travel agent to book a LOb, would the cost of my holiday have been protected in any way for cancellation due to covid-19 travel bans?

May be @outofofficebrb knows.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on this one, @Dan. Sorry to disappoint...I don’t know of anything. As for insurance...check your fine print. If they exclude health issues/pandemics/epidemics then this one won’t be covered because it’s related to one. If it does cover, you’ll need to know when your insurance company considered it a known event and that would be the deadline you would have had to purchase your policy by and in some cases, booked your trip by. There might also be guidelines on how many days before the warning/advisory/situation developed you must have also had the policy active by. When in doubt, check the fine print. My guess is the vast majority won’t cover this and only a few will. If you have cancel for any reason insurance, this would be covered.

I’m not aware of any consumer protection. Even bankruptcies, some travel insurance or credit cards have coverage on that for travel suppliers but nothing government supported as far as I know.

For my credit card, it covers cancelled trips. However, it does not cover me choosing not to go to avoid a pandemic.

If the trip was cancelled, the credit card coverage should kick in, since I am forced to not go.

If the trip was not cancelled, the credit card coverage would not kick in, since I am choosing to not go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom