I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suggest using the old tank. They last for decades. Replace the air control vale, that is the assembly that has the gauge on it about halfway up the tank. When it fell over, you probably knocked the float off the valve. The tank should not have water above the level of the air control valve. I installed a 30 amp disconnect next to my well to allow me to shut off power to the switch. Galvanized fittings are like galvanized tanks, they last a long time.

Here's a pic of the two small pads that were not level. I put in a larger pad and used the two small ones to create a larger footprint.

full?d=1584896459.jpg

This morning was overcast with lots of fog. I waited for some of it to clear, so I had adequate lighting. I started with getting the pad at the right height and leveled. I measured to the bottom of the inlet pipe, and using a level with a tape measure, I checked the height of the pad. I was about two inches low, so I filled and tamped. Once I was close, I plopped the 16x16x4" slab down and set the tank down. I was about 5/8" too high and it was leaning just a bit. I pulled the tank and slab off and then set to tamping down the soil 5/8". After four attempts, my sister and I had it at the perfect height and perfectly level. It assembled with ease and after it was all together, I set about to drill/tap the one way valve so that I can attach the pressure switch. I used a jig to bore a 7/16" hole and then tapped 1/4" NPT. Everything assembled easily and we check to be sure. The water flows. After lunch, it's time to tackle the plumbing to the house. Here are some pics...

full?d=1584896459.jpg

The "T" lifting rig!

full?d=1584896459.jpg

I put the flange valve on the other side of the one way valve.

full?d=1584896459.jpg

I'm happy with the closeness here. I used anti-seize on the flange threads so they won't freeze like the last one.

The center pad is level, but now I'm getting the other two pads leveled.

full?d=1584896760.jpg

Jig ready for drilling!

full?d=1584896760.jpg

Tapping the hole...

full?d=1584896760.jpg

Threads are crisp and shiny!

full?d=1584896760.jpg

Switch installed. I just need to go do the plumbing to the house.​

I told my sister I had about a half hour's work to fix the plumbing to the house. I had bought a 3/4" cap but I could not find it, so off to HD we went. I got the cap and some other fittings and got home around 5:00pm. By 5:30 i was done and cleaning up. I do have an eensy tiny leak where the nipple screws into the tank on the pump side. I'm out of gas for the day, and it's a single drop every few seconds. I'll drain it down in the am after breakfast and the morning constitutionals and tighten that up a bit. I also have to redo the electrical connections on the panel side. It's a short run, so I'll probably just pull new wire. I'll probably fill in the holes right after that. I have to say, the shower afterwards was mighty special. :D

full?d=1584914965.jpg

full?d=1584914965.jpg

... I do have an eensy tiny leak where the nipple screws into the tank on the pump side...
Drips are a pain and cost SO MUCH TIME to fix. Save yourself. Get Whitlam's Blue Magic Industrial grade Pipe thread compound. Nothing in the world beats it. You'll fix it just once an treasure the product forever. All other thread compounds are just a coin toss if it may or may not stop the leak. HD nor Lowes won't sell it, you'll have to go to Ferguson, Gorman, or Hughes supply to buy it.

have to say, the shower afterwards was mighty special. :D

In my old house I replaced all of the 50 year old 1/2" copper in the basement that was starting to occasionally pinhole from acid and sediment erosion with new 3/4" and isolating ballvalves for every takeoff. I also added a treatment loop with bypass, takeoffs for a darkroom, additional sillcock, ...
Wife was away, started at 6am and went non-stop all day. By 11pm I was bathed in dripped flux but had the system up enough to get a shower ...
I get "special"! :cool:

Great job! But my "lived my whole life in the northeast" brain reels at the idea of a water system sitting exposed on the lawn. :eek:

Save yourself.
I'll try a quick tightening tomorrow and is if she's still leaking, I'll find some.

Great job! But my "lived my whole life in the northeast" brain reels at the idea of a water system sitting exposed on the lawn. :eek:

I thought, but, but, no! When it is -10F and under 32F for two weeks, that will all freeze! Oh yeah, it is Florida and the trees have leafed-out already. Did you see the leaves in the background? Holy Wha! What a sight! Leaves on trees? Sheet!

cheers,
m

I told my sister I had about a half hour's work to fix the plumbing to the house. I had bought a 3/4" cap but I could not find it, so off to HD we went. I got the cap and some other fittings and got home around 5:00pm. By 5:30 i was done and cleaning up. I do have an eensy tiny leak where the nipple screws into the tank on the pump side. I'm out of gas for the day, and it's a single drop every few seconds. I'll drain it down in the am after breakfast and the morning constitutionals and tighten that up a bit. I also have to redo the electrical connections on the panel side. It's a short run, so I'll probably just pull new wire. I'll probably fill in the holes right after that. I have to say, the shower afterwards was mighty special. :D

Bless you! Welcome back to the land of the living:).
You never understand how important being able to wash, do dishes and flush a toilet is, untill you can't.

Michael

Did you see the leaves in the background?
Spring has sprung... Did I mention that I live in God's Country? This is one of my neighbor's yard.

full?d=1584958671.jpg

I've already mowed once, and will probably mowing a second time in a week. I need to finish overhauling the mower deck before I do. Yesterday was the fifteenth straight day with a high over 80. It's summer already!​

Two things I'll need to address today.
I now have a leak in one of the bathroom faucets
The kitchen sink faucet screen needs to be cleaned​

Both are easy enough to do but hell, you fix one thing and it seems that 10 other things break. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom