Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@JesterDiver @TabeaK

I'm the operation manager of @divedamai and am replying on behalf of my boss who probably have yet to read through the remaining thread or your responses since he posted the original reply as he doesn't visit ScubaBoard regularly. Anyway, my email is operations@dive-damai.com and would appreciate if you can write me an email so I can follow this through with him and come to a resolution. At this moment, he's a little overwhelmed as well with influx of incoming cancellation all the way till July 2020. I know your trip is in April and should be put into priority and I would like to do that for you. And yes, we will definitely want to come into a reasonable outcome and find a win win solution for all. So let's get in touch with me and we can take it further from there. We can always update this thread once we come to an agreement so people can have a reference to the progress.

Thank you! We have reached out and look forward to talking!

Just got off the phone with Equator Diving. As is expected the situation is complex for Dive Damai and Equator Diving. Equator Diving has now clearly told us in an email and over the phone that if we are not made whole thru our insurance they will do the right thing by us. I want to make it clear on here that Dive Damai up until know has been a great operation to deal with. There was obviously a communication breakdown between the three parties as to how to handle this unprecedented situation. The reason for our disappointment ,is it felt out of character from our previous experience with Dive Damai which had been the best experience I have ever had on over a dozen different liveaboards. I'm not sure what has happened behind the scenes with the two companies, nor do I really care to be truthful. All I wanted was to be treated fairly with concrete steps as to our outcome and they appear to be doing so. I am even in the process of trying to rebook thru Equator Diving. I want to give the benefit of the doubt that in this crazy time, this can all be chalked up to a growing pain of learning how to deal with such a unique situation. I will keep everyone posted as to how things develop but it seems like it will all be ok now for me and my group of friends. Thank to SB for all your support and advice, we were beyond stressed out and now feel things are better and we all need some good news these days!

Sounds like a good result. Are they allowing you to rebook?

could you elaborate a little on how the 'situation is complex' for Damai and Equator?

Just got off the phone with Equator Diving. As is expected the situation is complex for Dive Damai and Equator Diving. Equator Diving has now clearly told us in an email and over the phone that if we are not made whole thru our insurance they will do the right thing by us. I want to make it clear on here that Dive Damai up until know has been a great operation to deal with. There was obviously a communication breakdown between the three parties as to how to handle this unprecedented situation. The reason for our disappointment ,is it felt out of character from our previous experience with Dive Damai which had been the best experience I have ever had on over a dozen different liveaboards. I'm not sure what has happened behind the scenes with the two companies, nor do I really care to be truthful. All I wanted was to be treated fairly with concrete steps as to our outcome and they appear to be doing so. I am even in the process of trying to rebook thru Equator Diving. I want to give the benefit of the doubt that in this crazy time, this can all be chalked up to a growing pain of learning how to deal with such a unique situation. I will keep everyone posted as to how things develop but it seems like it will all be ok now for me and my group of friends. Thank to SB for all your support and advice, we were beyond stressed out and now feel things are better and we all need some good news these days!

Thanks for your update. I'm glad this thread turned out to be an accidental source for you to be able to identify a miscommunication and to come to a good resolution that works. I commend @divedamai for composing themselves in a professional way and communicating here in the way that they did despite the situation at hand. I admire that as I have seen some ops not do that and it has completely turned me off to diving with them in the future. I have deleted the log for Damai for now. :)

Let's everyone try to be understanding that while we divers, as individuals are unhappy about this, imagine what a horrific shock it is for the operators on the other end. They are being inundated with requests and demands and reeling. How can the small operations even find time to stop and think, to analyze what may be the best way to address their operations individual circumstances and thus responses.

Thanks for your update. I'm glad this thread turned out to be an accidental source for you to be able to identify a miscommunication and to come to a good resolution that works. I commend @divedamai for composing themselves in a professional way and communicating here in the way that they did despite the situation at hand. I admire that as I have seen some ops not do that and it has completely turned me off to diving with them in the future. I have deleted the log for Damai for now. :)
I completely agree, @divedamai and Equator Diving have stepped up and their communication have caught up with their intents and actions. I completely understand how difficult a situation this is for both of them and managing what must be an avalanche of clients. I'm in a somewhat similar type of business model and as I have told my clients, no one decided to write a playbook for this scenario, we are all adjusting and learning as we go. Kudos to both companies for figuring this out. My first hand experience with Damai is that their crew is second to none. They helped me in ways that were above and beyond the call of duty when my back went out in the middle of the last trip. Will continue to keep all posted.

Great to know that I will get vouchers backed by the state for my bookings through Equator. One of the reasons that I choose to route some of my bookings through Equator was for the consumer protection legislation that is available in the UK.

Does anyone have any idea of what consumer protection legislation there is available in countries like America and Australia?

Great to know that I will get vouchers backed by the state for my bookings through Equator. One of the reasons that I choose to route some of my bookings through Equator was for the consumer protection legislation that is available in the UK.

Does anyone have any idea of what consumer protection legislation there is available in countries like America and Australia?

Australia: it's strong: Consumer rights & guarantees

As long as the entity you're facing is in OZ, you're all good. If it's offshore, that might be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom