Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This. I'd be totally fine with a reschedule/voucher and would throw in extra to cover the delta in rates if they went up between my original booking and the day I want to redeem the voucher/credit.

I'm not so crazy about the idea of being willing to put up the delta money in the future.

Whilst a company keeping my money is unlikely to be investing my money in a growth account, the time value of money says to me, that I shouldn't have to fork over another couple of hundred for my rebooked trip, when it's force majeure.

This exactly. There are very few things that cost over $20 which I wouldn't use a credit or debit card to pay for. Both of those provide you with good recourse should you get screwed on something you paid for.

If someone wants you to pay for a vacation with money order or some oddball thing like paypal, I'd run away as fast as my legs could take me. Nothing but shady going on there.

That's not true when it comes to booking in Indonesia. Nothing shady about for the most part, especially when booking lob.

Perhaps this is something that will change once all the smoke clears so to speak.

Agree with the above. ‘That’s just the way we do it here’ can take a back seat from now on though.. Being on an island is no excuse any more. It’s always primarily to hide money anyway or declare reduced income for tax purposes. The vehicles are there for anyone to facilitate electronic banking and payment methods for a nominal fee.

We booked through Equator as they were the one's selling the itinerary/timing we wanted - so we did not instruct them to go and get us spots with Damai, we went with what they were already reselling. On Equator's site the trip showed as sold out, on Damai's site the trip showed as having available spots even 2 weeks ago - so maybe it was a half charter? Honestly, I am speculating at this point and do not know for sure.

Maybe another lesson from this is: do not deal with re-sellers/agents; only go through the boat directly?

Not necessarily

Agree with the above. ‘That’s just the way we do it here’ can take a back seat from now on though.. Being on an island is no excuse any more. It’s always primarily to hide money anyway or declare reduced income for tax purposes. The vehicles are there for anyone to facilitate electronic banking and payment methods for a nominal fee.

LOL, then kelemvor is partially right about shady.

I meant nothing shady about getting your cabin on the boat.

Having gone through a natural disaster with Dive Damai in the past, their actions made us clients for life. They helped us find hotels, provided transfers, and gave us a voucher for future travel. None of which was contractually obligated. They did it because they care about their clients. They also care about their crew and staff which is what makes them an amazing boat and will hopefully help them survive this pandemic. I hope all parties resolve this and I caution people who make rash decisions about a business from something posted on the internet. Let's just hope that the businesses we love can survive this pandemic. They will have difficult choices ahead of them while they try to keep their business "afloat" and take care of the men and woman that work for them.

Having gone through a natural disaster with Dive Damai in the past, their actions made us clients for life. They helped us find hotels, provided transfers, and gave us a voucher for future travel. None of which was contractually obligated. They did it because they care about their clients. They also care about their crew and staff which is what makes them an amazing boat and will hopefully help them survive this pandemic. I hope all parties resolve this and I caution people who make rash decisions about a business from something posted on the internet. Let's just hope that the businesses we love can survive this pandemic. They will have difficult choices ahead of them while they try to keep their business "afloat" and take care of the men and woman that work for them.

I had never heard a bad word about Damai until today AND the bad word may not even be about them. I've even been aboard one of their fleet though sadly for me, it was not Damai 1 or ll. I have however been aboard my favourite little boat that had been in their fleet until sold a year or two ago.

I'm not so crazy about the idea of being willing to put up the delta money in the future.

Whilst a company keeping my money is unlikely to be investing my money in a growth account, the time value of money says to me, that I shouldn't have to fork over another couple of hundred for my rebooked trip, when it's force majeure.

Look on the bright side by keeping your money in their bank they saved you from the 20% loss you would have suffered had you invested in the market!

I have multiple trips scheduled for this year. Current outcomes are as follows:

March/April trip
Galapagos Master 100% credit, trip rescheduled to 2021. Grateful thanks to my travel agent, Diversion Dive Travel.

April trip
Spoilsport 100% credit, trip to be rescheduled to 2021. Thanks again to Diversion Dive Travel.

August trip
Nai'a and Beqa Lagoon Resort 100% credit, trip to be rescheduled probably to 2021. Grateful thanks to my travel agent Equator Diving.

Outcomes for my May, June and July trips on are pending. Hopefully the rot stops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom