Bored, self quarantined, how many still use snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always, for the last 50 years of diving, except when in a restricted or an overhead environment, it then goes into a pocket. I always use it when I am on the surface.

OK, I'm bored out my mind. Can't binge watch much more TV. Question, other than snorkeling, how many still use a snorkel when diving? For me, it's probably been ten years or more since I've attached my snorkel to my mask strap while diving. Just haven't seen a need for it. Actual if I'm honest I don't even know where it is.

Anyone still use there's when diving?
Nope. But I may wear my mask and tank going to the grocery store!

T-M...

Snorkel...you really are bored...hope you're not standing near any high/unprotected ledges...

You may also want your wife to hide all the knives...

And...for God's sake...don't even think about cleaning your guns...

Saddle the horse...and go out and count armadillos...

W...

I live in Texas it's very flat and we have a one story house, safe on that front. All my knives have been sharpened, guns have all been cleaned. Stalls, well they are always being cleaned out! If it keeps raining in Texas I'm gonna need to outfit my cattle in dive gear or at least mask, snorkel and cow fins! My one acre tank (pond for those outside of Texas) is almost 20 acres now. Finished all the simple stuff, too much rain to hunt, do ranch work, 4-wheel around or most anything. Horses just give you that look, don't even think about putting a saddle on my back! Throw in the beer virus and we can't go anywhere. I'm seriously bored as is my wife! :banghead:

OK, I'm bored out my mind. Can't binge watch much more TV. Question, other than snorkeling, how many still use a snorkel when diving? For me, it's probably been ten years or more since I've attached my snorkel to my mask strap while diving. Just haven't seen a need for it. Actual if I'm honest I don't even know where it is.

Anyone still use there's when diving?

I started diving when they hadn't invented the BC yet. We would snorkel out until we got past the surf and then dive down. I always have my snorkel attached and ready to use, unless I'm on the manta ray night dive or something. On boat dives I like to look down while on the surface waiting for the boat to pick me up--sometimes I'll see some very interesting things. A few months ago my BC would not hold air at the beginning of the dive and I used my snorkel to breathe through while waiting for my buddy to equalize her ears. I think it would have been more difficult without a snorkel. Another time the current picked up on a shore dive and I ran out of air sooner than expected so I snorkeled the rest of the way. Personally I don't see why someone would choose not to have one, just in case you need it. Mine stays out of the way and I never notice it's there until I want it.

You mean you already watched all the pandemic movies and series'? :wink: My girlfriend isn't keen on watching them so we'll probably re-watch all the old underwater movies and then start in on the u/w home videos.

Deleted

I'm still using a snorkel but looking for a good reason not too. I shore dive mostly and find it useful at times but it's still a nuisance. I thought about a fold-up but haven't done that yet. Maybe a snorkel should be used just for that...snorkeling.

if you are shore diving a lot, then it's probably worth keeping one with you. Doesn't have to be fold up though, you can get creative with how yo ustore them. In a bp/w I've stored them like a backup light. Clipped to the left shoulder d-ring from the mouthpiece side with a bolt snap and then a piece of bungee or innertube to keep it locked to the shoulder strap while I'm diving. Easy to deploy when I want it

I'm still using a snorkel but looking for a good reason not too. I shore dive mostly and find it useful at times but it's still a nuisance. I thought about a fold-up but haven't done that yet. Maybe a snorkel should be used just for that...snorkeling.

Main reason for me to ditch it as soon as I could: the thing is just hanging there, dangling around, irritating me, being in the way,... for nothing.
And I never went snorkeling.

Back
Top Bottom