Ditchable weight options for backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I may, are you aware of how much ditchable weight you want? Are you diving a balanced rig? If so, about 4-5 lbs will suffice for a single tank. One simple weight pouch would be adequate. XS scuba makes a nice releasable pouch for $15.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?....besides putting the pockets on my bc webbing..

Search "scuba weight harness" on amazon and see what comes up. Disclaimer: I have only ever seen website pictures of any and all of those products and services.

If you are going to add a quick release to the crotch strap, then, in my opinion, this is enough to facilitate a rapid ditch of a weight belt in an emergency. That is exactly what I do. I prefer to have at least some lead on the belt that I can drop rather than making my BC heavier and harder and more cumbersome to switch over from tank to tank to tank to tank during a loooong day of diving.

Standing bent over trying to balance myself and a tank on a pitching boat and switching over an unnecessarily heavy BC is something I try to avoid when my intent is "fun". People who set up from picnic tables probably don't have similar concerns.

I generally wear a rubber freedive type weight belt that sits lower on my hips and does not interfere with the BP/W waist strap/buckle.
I do the same with a Mako rubber weight belt, as a nylon belt slips on my pot belly. I also use a couple of trim wt pockets on the top tank band (XSScuba). At one time I experimented with adding weight pockets to the waist belt and did not like the effect. And as you say it's easier not to have the weights on an already heavy back plate when you transfer tanks or have to remove your scuba in the water.

This is what I rigged up using OMS weight pouches that hold up to 13 pounds each. The weight sits just aft and above the hips and is supported by the back plate. I don't even notice them when diving. My 2psi.

jQ7Rut.jpg

v1vfqc.jpg

I use the Zeagle pockets with quick release handles bolted to the plate. Works for me.

zeagle-zip-touch-backplate-weight-system.jpg

If I may, are you aware of how much ditchable weight you want? Are you diving a balanced rig? If so, about 4-5 lbs will suffice for a single tank. One simple weight pouch would be adequate. XS scuba makes a nice releasable pouch for $15.

Hi Jay,
What's worked best for me in salt water (so I'm not battling buoyancy on a safety stop) is 16# total weight. 12# on my belt and 4# in trim pockets on my tank. I do ok at 14# but my SS is a little more work.
So my idea, since my crotch strap traps my weight belt, and putting a weight belt on (over the crotch strap) after I'm strapped into my bp&w sucks pretty hard, is to get a rubber belt and use pockets like the Dive Rite or Hog that quick release only the lead. I don't want to put these on the bc for the reasons stated by others. ie keeping the bc as light and easy to work with as I can.
As an instructor, if you can see something I'm doing wrong I'm all ears and will appreciate your input. I'm a fairly new diver. AOW with 33 dives.

12 lbs on a rubber belt should be comfortable and manageable. I would forgo the pockets and just try the basic rubber belt and hard lead weights. It is simple and clean.

After trying it a few times, then decide if you have to add pockets. I think you will probably find them unnecessary.

This is what I rigged up using OMS weight pouches that hold up to 13 pounds each. The weight sits just aft and above the hips and is supported by the back plate. I don't even notice them when diving. My 2psi.

That is similar to what I’m using albeit with dive rite pouches. What are you using to attach the top of the pockets to the backplate? I like how you have those configured.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom