Goodbye to Puerto Galera... for now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The last three guests were to leave Asia Divers/El Galleon today. From the first sign of trouble on March 13th, an announcement that ferries and public boats would be stopped at noon on the 14th, echoing the shutdown of domestic flights, official news went from bad to insane with head-spinning speed. With contradictory diktats from so many levels, that changed every few hours, it began to seem impossible either to stay or to go. Tense negotiations over three days resulted in protocols that got all guests to the airport, in the small groups allowed, past health officials, armed and jumpy coast guards, the Metro Manila lockdown roadblock, and pandemonium at NAIA.
If any of you weren’t getting prompt answers to your emails about future reservations, it’s because Allan, Rhuby and Alli were calling every connection they could employ to get 50 of us out, while figuring out how they can keep their staff safe and supported in a town where diving is now forbidden, imports of food restricted, bars and restaurants closed, and no tourist dollars will be coming in for the foreseeable.
The week of diving we did have was fabulous.

0177C727-EB8D-48D5-866E-994C4F011FEB.jpeg

photo credit: Calvin Piggott

My heart goes out to all of you, and all I can say is this will eventually blow over. As someone or other once said about this place, "I WILL RETURN!" You can bet on it!:usa:

Food will be in short supply soon.
And with no income to pay for everything, this could turn nasty.

Reactions: FT
I hope it was a happy ending for you. I was to arrive 25 March 2020 at Puerto Galera for a week of diving. But alas, I have canceled my trip. While I have lost my airfare and a small deposit at a dive centre, my heart goes out to the Filipina locals. I wish them luck and a speedy return to business and normality.

All the best to Asia Divers, haven't been there for a few years but it's my favourite dive op in Sabang.

I hope it was a happy ending for you. I was to arrive 25 March 2020 at Puerto Galera for a week of diving. But alas, I have canceled my trip. While I have lost my airfare and a small deposit at a dive centre, my heart goes out to the Filipina locals. I wish them luck and a speedy return to business and normality.
This is going to be tough for most them around the area. Some of them lost their jobs when banca was banned last yr. And now this!
I hope the local do not turn to illegal fishing practice.

Reactions: FT
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom