Cancellation of booked trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can understand your desire to not allow customers to re-schedule regularly, prior to all of this happening or maybe after all of this is simmered down....but is it possible to let them re-schedule considering current events? She is not wanting her money back. You can keep it. She will come for those services you openly offer at a later date.
She actually did not wait for my answer to het proposal, which I promised for the next day (midnight here at that moment) but posted a review on Tripadvisor instead. We are afraid we cannot offer any reschedules if this will take more than some months we realize now. Things are gettin from bad to worse. We might be completely out of business by then. And now she just wants a letter for her insurance company about the cancellation.

They did not want to reschedule either. Never mind they just made sure one diving community wont be staying with them in the future.
When the flights are cancelled and people then also cannot get a visa in time as visa on arrival cancelled just before they are due to depart this is not the fault of the client. Not a major amount of money.
Maybe they just cannot afford other solutions? If they reschedule one that have to do that for all. Maybe they know that if business picks up again in ????? When? They are out of business anyway. And their main concern now is to pay salaries and bills. I missed holiday it justv what it is...something you would have consumed. A missed salary is food for a family.

It blows my mind that you are ok to let people book without a deposit but if someone is nice enough (or maybe stupid in this instance) pays a deposit you will not refund them and only give them a chance to use it for a percentage of their final bill. Whats the difference? Does the deposit money just get added to the profits column and spent accordingly? Why not just say no need for a deposit? But you won't say no to a money transfer now will you, especially when you may get a %50 increase on a stay if someone cancels/reschedules.
Maybe keeping deposits separate will allow for future refunds? If people pay good money for things the least that can be done is give them the service requested or their hard earned money back.
The majority of refund policies are a joke and seems to always skew towards who has the money in their possession.

How about a bit of a name and shame down here?

Still trying to negotiate with them. It's only a few days stay and not a large amount. I just read on another diving forum a diver paid US$10,000 for a live aboard in Mexico. He can't go. No refund and only 40% discount offered if he re-books with that operator.

I run a business so yes I know what it is like to survive Sars in 2003 and the financial crash in 2008. I ran my business at a loss during those times. My competitors did not survive as they were too busy buying new cars and watches and suits and nice expensive lifestyles and saved nothing for a rainy day. This is not uncommon with many business owners they live for today only.

I have managed to cancel and get refunded from every other company I paid money too.
EVE Air even said they will refund in 7 business days to my credit card as I booked with them direct not thru a travel agent. As Bali and Indonesia now cancelled visa on arrival I could not get a visa in time and now would face mandatory quarantine when I returned home.

Dear XXX

Your refund application has been submitted successfully and will be processed as soon as possible. The refund amount (if there is any refund value after the value of used portions and service charge deducted) will be credited into your credit card account, which was used to pay for the ticket. If the credit card is no longer available at the time of refund application, please contact your card issuing bank for the alternative way of your refund. Should you have any inquiries regarding the progression of your refund application, please contact EVA Air ticketing office for assistance.

Still trying to negotiate with them. It's only a few days stay and not a large amount. I just read on another diving forum a diver paid US$10,000 for a live aboard in Mexico. He can't go. No refund and only 40% discount offered if he re-books with that operator.

I run a business so yes I know what it is like to survive Sars in 2003 and the financial crash in 2008. I ran my business at a loss during those times. My competitors did not survive as they were too busy buying new cars and watches and suits and nice expensive lifestyles and saved nothing for a rainy day. This is not uncommon with many business owners they live for today only.

I have managed to cancel and get refunded from every other company I paid money too.
EVE Air even said they will refund in 7 business days to my credit card as I booked with them direct not thru a travel agent. As Bali and Indonesia now cancelled visa on arrival I could not get a visa in time and now would face mandatory quarantine when I returned home.
I have to say that seeing all of this unfold will make me think twice about leaving any significant deposits on trips that are not reasonably refundable moving forward.

I have to say that seeing all of this unfold will make me think twice about leaving any significant deposits on trips that are not reasonably refundable moving forward.

Well I want to go to Palau but I will stay at a hotel and not a live aboard after this.

Well I want to go to Palau but I will stay at a hotel and not a live aboard after this.
A couple we met in Rangiroa last October said they did Palau land based and hit almost all of the dive sites the liveaboards get to. They loved it - so not a bad plan!

A couple we met in Rangiroa last October said they did Palau land based and hit almost all of the dive sites the liveaboards get to. They loved it - so not a bad plan!

I'm from Taiwan so we have direct flights and also easy to pay for extra baggage allowance cheaply so I will bring my own kit.
Yup you don't really need to do live aboard in Palau.

We need to think. Don't we want a hotel or resort to be open the next time we're actually able to visit them?

What's a compromise that you can accept?

I agree. Not a time for quoting contractual law. It’s a time for reminding ourselves, to the extent possible, that we are all in this together.

It blows my mind that you are ok to let people book without a deposit but if someone is nice enough (or maybe stupid in this instance) pays a deposit you will not refund them and only give them a chance to use it for a percentage of their final bill. Whats the difference? Does the deposit money just get added to the profits column and spent accordingly? Why not just say no need for a deposit? But you won't say no to a money transfer now will you, especially when you may get a %50 increase on a stay if someone cancels/reschedules.
Maybe keeping deposits separate will allow for future refunds? If people pay good money for things the least that can be done is give them the service requested or their hard earned money back.
The majority of refund policies are a joke and seems to always skew towards who has the money in their possession.

Thank you for your feedback. It helps us to form our own thoughts about it. Highly appreciated.
We indeed did not foresee this situation. It is not a deposit we ask for. But a prepayment of the (or part of) the reservation. In this way guests can chose a 10% discount in case the refrain from any refund. Until some years ago we most of our guests booked long in advance. But since the days of Booking.com and other online sellers this changed. We give to opportunity to either confirm by sending their flight tickets and pay when they check out or pay in advance with 10% discount. Please keep in mind too that our resorts have only accommodation for max. 16 guests.
Herewith our policy:

NO DEPOSIT – NO CANCELLATION FEE – PAY WHEN YOU CHECK OUT

We can keep a temporary reservation for you for 7 days. To confirm your booking you only have to provide us with your full name(s) and a copy of your confirmed flight itinerary. Or, if you prefer, by pre-payment.

Payment can be done at the end of your stay, by internet banking, cash*, debit card or credit card.

Payment can also be done in advance. If you want to prepay, we offer you a 10% discount on the part of your reservation you pay in advance. This 10% discount is not valid for the transfers by boat, car and airplan. To receive the 10% discount, you have to ask for this when you make the reservation and let us know which part of your booking you want to pre-pay. We will send you an invoice promptly and the invoice must been paid within 1 week after receiving your invoice. For any reservation made shorter than 30 days before your arrival date, we cannot offer this discount. By paying when you make your reservation you exclude also possible negative fluctuations in the exchange rates. Please note that there is no refund at all of this amount in case you cancel your trip, for whatever reason. Please note that we release temporary reservations after 7 days if we did not receive a copy of your tickets or a payment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom