Mares regulator, keep or exchange...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a compatible dive computer, but yes, the transmitter is quite expensive. I need get other things first.
I only have options of MV, Rover, Proton (plastic). They also have Abyss Octopus, but its expensive.

From that list, depending on how expensive, I would lean towards the Abyss Octopus and consider it an investment.

In the future, you could always purchase a non-octo abyss cover for about 20 euros +/- , and have it tuned like the non-octo and have 2 really good performing 2nd stages.

Abyss Cover

All the 2nd stages you list are "good enough" as an octo, but the best investment would be the Abyss octo....you will appreciate having it if you decide to configure your reg set as "primary donate".

-Z

The first three are around 70-80us, while Abyss is 160us. It also has a yellow cord, cant switch that one I guess.
I thought octopus should be reliable and not to high end, since you wont be using it too much. If I intend to use it only as octo, is there point in paying twice the price?

The first three are around 70-80us, while Abyss is 160us. It also has a yellow cord, cant switch that one I guess.
I thought octopus should be reliable and not to high end, since you wont be using it too much. If I intend to use it only as octo, is there point in paying twice the price?

First....you can definitely switch the hose to any color you like that is available.

Second...regarding the price/performance of an octo, there a different schools of thought on this. One school of thought is to go inexpensive as you will not be using it often. Another school of thought is to get one that is at least equal in performance and reliability as your primary 2nd stage as you never know if you will need to use it. Still another school of thought is "primary donate"...in this you will donate your primary 2nd stage and switch to your octo which is typically on a necklace made from a loop of bungee cord...if things go wrong and you need to switch to your octo you, again, want it to be as reliable and equally performing as your primary 2nd stage which you will donate to your partner if they are OOA or suffer a regulator failure.

It is all personal preference. As I mentioned in a previous post, there is nothing wrong with any of the 2nd stages you listed. Choose one, get an SPG, and go dive.

-Z

If the cost difference is material, I'd get the Proton. I dived with the plastic Protons for years without any problems. They are light and compact and breathe well. They were in a higher price class than the other two when they were all current production, so the quality and or parts should be better.

The most noticeable difference on the lower end Rover is the purge button. No spring mechanism, just a stiff plastic part that takes a bit more of a firmer squeeze to use. Not too comfortable for younger, smaller divers.

Here is what the Rover, Proton and MV look like inside for comparison:

Rover
ROVER.JPG

ROVER%2520OCTOPUS.JPG

ROVER%2520DESPIECE.JPG

Proton
PROTON.JPG

PROTON%20DESPIECE.JPG

MV
MV%252001.JPG

MV%252002.JPG

MV%2520DESPIECE.JPG

The plastic mesh of the Proton and Rover becomes brittle and eventually breaks. It may be possible to get Rover replacement covers (@ 10 euro +/-), but Proton covers (plastic or metal) are more difficult to find.

There is a spring behind the purge button of the plastic proton purge button that is not shown in the picture. Here is the exploded diagram of the Proton octo with the spring circled in red:

Proton Octo diagram.png

-Z

There is not a whole lot of difference between the proton and the rover except for the faceplate/purge button design. Here are the parts list for each for comparison:

upload_2020-3-20_7-52-33.png

upload_2020-3-20_7-54-18.png

-Z

Here (attached) is the full reference from where the parts lists and diagram were plucked.

-Z

Attachments

• Mares Dealer Service Manual 2009.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 148
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom