Air fare bargains are appearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What did I post previously and no one believed me? I told you the cruise lines could lease their ships to governments to serve as floating hospitals. Here ya go...

Trump says Carnival Cruise will provide ships for medical use

From CNN's Betsy Klein

President Trump announced Thursday that he spoke with Carnival Cruise chairman Micky Arison, who has said he will make some ships from his fleet available to complement the work of US Navy hospital ships.

“This morning, I spoke with Micky Arison of Carnival Cruise Lines and he’s going to make ships available. So in addition to the big medical ships that you have coming, if we need ships with lots of rooms, they’ll be docked at New York and Los Angeles and San Francisco, different places,” he said.

I hope you didn't buy too much CCL stock at the time you said it. It was $18 then, under $10 now.

You got out at the right time. That's half the job. The other half is getting back in at the right time.

I cashed out in mid 2008 and spared myself most of the damage. I was so proud of myself. And so nervous about getting back in that I missed the rebound in 2009. I was all set to get back in early March, which would have been pinpoint perfect timing, but I was going on a trip to Mexico and decided to hold off. Stocks popped that week and then I waited for them to drop back some. They didn't. Then it became a viscious cycle of thinking it's too late and then they go up some more.
I am not looking to make money on this, just not to get beaten up. I got out at 26000+; even if I wait until it's back there or nearly so, it's not a big deal.

I hope you didn't buy too much CCL stock at the time you said it. It was $18 then, under $10 now.

No. No cruise line stocks for me yet. I only owned RCL once several years ago when I loaded it on the Zika virus hysteria that led to the last sell off in the cruise lines. Zika isn't this virus and our economy wasn't on the verge of the next great recession. Cruise lines will be worth investing in again someday but that's no time soon. Furthermore, a high % of cruise passengers are seniors... After going through this I don't think they will be willing to get on a cruise ship anytime soon (if ever). As "Social Distancing" gets hammered into everyone's head 200 times day, this coronavirus experience is going to change the way a lot of people think and act for a long time (with the exception of those college kids on Spring Break)..

I am not looking to make money on this, just not to get beaten up. I got out at 26000+; even if I wait until it's back there or nearly so, it's not a big deal.

Unless you believe we're on the verge of cornavirus induced Armageddon, this is the best time to put cash into the market since the last great recession. No one can call a bottom in the market overall so average back in over the next 6, 12 or even 18 months or so but start now.. There are lots of babies that have been tossed with the bath water. Heck, take a look at the yield some of the cumulative preferred shares of quality companies are delivering these days! 10%-20% as they've been sold off at the same rate as the common units which is absolutely nuts. Look for preferred shares in companies that pay out massive dividends and distributions to common stock and unit holders. If a company pays $15M per quarter to preferred holders and $175M per quarter to common holders that is a MASSIVE cushion. They can cut or eliminate $175M of payments to the commons before they hit the preferreds but even if the preferreds to get it, they are cumulative which means the unpaid distributions to the preferred must be caught up before any common holder sees a cent.

If I had been lucky enough to make your call when you did, that's what I'd be doing now and would make an absolute killing over probably the next 2 years. Remember, the day they have a vaccine for this which realistically may be 12-18 months from now, this specific virus and most all concerns about it will be in the past and forgotten about and the fear factor about this virus will most likely reside in the same category as the common flu. Just like the flu, it will still be deadly and kill lots of people every year but very few will worry about it.

If I had been lucky enough to make your call when you did, that's what I'd be doing now and would make an absolute killing over probably the next 2 years. Remember, the day they have a vaccine for this which realistically may be 12-18 months from now, this specific virus and most all concerns about it will be in the past and forgotten about and the fear factor about this virus will most likely reside in the same category as the common flu. Just like the flu, it will still be deadly and kill lots of people every year but very few will worry about it.

Why does everyone say it will be 12-18 months from now before a vaccine is ready?

Let's look at H1N1 "swine flu" timeline.
2009 H1N1 Flu Pandemic Timeline

April 15
First human infection with new influenza A H1N1 virus detected in California.

April 21
CDC began working to develop a candidate vaccine virus.

July 22
Clinical trials testing the 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine began.

September 15
The FDA announced its approval of four 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccines.

September 30
U.S. states placed first orders of 2009 H1N1 vaccine.

October 5
First doses of H1N1 vaccine were given in the U.S.

November 16
FDA announced its approval of a fifth 2009 H1N1 vaccine.

Late December
2009 H1N1 vaccination had been opened up to anyone who wanted it.

Several cv19 vaccines have already been designed and human testing is to begin this month. If they develop a cv19 vaccine at the same speed - and with ten years improved technology they should be able to do it faster - that would have one widely available by early fall.

Why does everyone say it will be 12-18 months from now before a vaccine is ready?

April 15

April 21

July 22

September 15

September 30

October 5

November 16

Late December

Several cv19 vaccines have already been designed and human testing is to begin this month. If they develop a cv19 vaccine at the same speed - and with ten years improved technology they should be able to do it faster - that would have one widely available by early fall.
I hope you are right, and it may be that the Powers That Be are lowering expectations in order to make any surprise a positive one, but all the official information says not to expect it until Fall 2021. There certainly is plenty of incentive to put it on a fast track, though.

Unless you believe we're on the verge of cornavirus induced Armageddon, this is the best time to put cash into the market since the last great recession.
I'm not much of a risk taker, and my gut tells me that it still has a long way to fall before things get better. I'll not take another card just yet.

Thanks Reefhound... That is comforting to read. I was not aware that a vaccine was prepared so rapidly for that virus.

April 15

April 21

July 22

September 15

September 30

October 5

November 16

Late December

Is H1N1 a coronavirus?

Back
Top Bottom