Spring Lake closed until further notice due to coronavirus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not only the deaths. So far, roughly, for every person that dies there is one person that survives, but needed advanced medical care (an ICU visit) to survive. Think intubation and ventilators. Don't think any country's medical system can cope with that if this gets out of control. Sadly those who consider this a "mild cold" that requires them to do nothing are the problem. Sadly your president started down this road, thankfully he has recently been convinced otherwise. Hopefully it was not too late.

First, we need to put the blame at it's source. China really needs to clean up it's act. Hygiene isn't a priority there. It's role in the exotic meat/products market is robbing the world of too many species from rhino's to sharks. Enough is enough. Just reality here.

Second, we need to look at what are reasonable responses to this crisis. Today, we got a mailer from Copenhagen Furniture that they were having a 50 year anniversary sale this weekend. Just got an email that the event was cancelled due to the Wuhan virus. There are 47 cases of the virus in Texas. I really don't think there is too much risk attending the event. Circumstances may be different in other locals, but not here.

TSU going the full smash, is understandable. Canceling diving at Spring Lake is asinine. Your contact with the staff is them handing you a clip board for you to sign.

As a diver, situational awareness is everything, I have a much greater risk from the grocery store touch screens than the clip board at Spring Lake.

When the Covid-19 problem is in the rear view mirror and Spring Lake reopens, if anyone is looking for a dive buddy at Spring Lake, I am retired, live only 45 minutes from there, and available most days If interested in diving when the spring reopens, PM me and I will give you my cell phone number for faster contact.

5% of the world's population is a LOT of people. Especially if one or more of that 5% is an elderly loved one.

And this just out of France- over half the 300 intensive care patients are under 60.

How's that for shark jumping?

I agree this is serious. But just to be accurate the percentages are not of the entire population, they are of the infected. Currently the largest projection I have seen is that 30% of US population will be exposed. That would move the number of US deaths down to about a million, which is in keeping with the estimates of some of the pros.

The death rate is also contingent on the quality of care. Once the hospitals are stressed more we can expect that death rate to increase. World numbers since they include Italy and china already have incorporated that factor. So I would expect we would be lower at first, but given how so many of our citizens are mixing in large groups like the italians did/do we can expect our death rate to rise to the international rate in a few months.

Spanish Influenza killed 50 million back in 1919, but back then the world population was only 1.8 billion. That would be the equivilant of having 214 million die now.
If 60% of the world population gets the corona virus and only 5% die, we are talking about 214 million dead from the virus.
Since I'm over 60, and have been living with an incurable disease for 60 years (insulin is pallative medicine) the chances are better than normal that I wouldn't survive it, If things get as bad as they were in northern Italy, I would have been triaged out, as too much work to save with limited resources.

Michael

There are 47 cases of the virus in Texas. I really don't think there is too much risk attending the event.

There are only 47 cases because Texas has only tested 200 people. The numbers of infected are likely significantly higher... I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks.

There are only 47 cases because Texas has only tested 200 people. The numbers of infected are likely significantly higher... I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks.

I agree that there are more than the reported cases in the state. What we are not seeing are massive influxes of patients at the hospitals.

I don't know how how bad this is. That's above my pay grade. What I do know is that my wife and I have reached out to every older couple we know to offer to get groceries and run errands (we're in our later 30's). I'm not looking to get sick, but my grandparents that live on the same street are too old to get sick. I haven't seen them since it started... I'm staying away from direct contact and away from crowds as much as possible. (Still have to work, but that's limited contact).

I'm not sure what we as a nation need to do, but we as individuals need to stay away from each other as best as possible and if your on the younger side try to look out for the older.

If you feel like you need something and live close to 21013 pm me and I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

You don’t need massive influx of cases to cause a problem. All it takes is a doubling of people who come to the hospital with viral pneumonia for a prolonged period of time, maybe from 2-3/day to 4-5/day for a moderate sized hospital. They have to be sorted into corona patients and non corona patients so that they can go into appropriate wards. The worst case is putting a corona patient into a non corona patient ward. Then you could end up with a Kirkland nursing home type outbreak. The immediate problem is the sort. There are very few places where the test can be performed in a day. My state lab has backed up from 1-2 days to 2 days plus. The commercial labs have backed up from 3-5 days to 10 days plus. What do you do with the viral pneumonia patient now? You put them in the corona ward to be safe, where they will cause usage of masks whether they are truly a corona patient or not. After 3 days, test comes back negative. That patient is moved out. Meanwhile, the small bump in total patients continues. New patients are coming in, masks are in short supply, and test turnaround is increasing. At some point, testing is meaningless because after two weeks, patients have either gotten through the worst of it on their own or they are in really bad shape. That’s the problem.
It’s not a dramatic failure like an earthquake or flood. It’s more like termites or rust. It’s looks good from the outside until it doesn’t work, and then it falls apart slowly, then quickly, and there is nothing anyone can do.

Back
Top Bottom