Air fare bargains are appearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I expect the airlines will continue to operate unless there are government ordered shutdowns. There will be schedule reductions but some options will remain. The US airlines load factor this morning was about 30% which is not sustainable. Again there will be reductions and probably bail outs. It is an essential industry that will be required when our economy spools back up.

And on a personal note: There is a good amount of "western bread" stuff to worry about as well, like i.e. multi resistant bacteria strains mostly bread by irresponsible usage of antibiotics. (
It took me a minute, but I believe you meant "bred". :D

April 18-26 NYC to CUN as low as $216RT

NYC to CZM same dates $324.95

will have no choice but to book CZM in a few weeks...:)
And maybe NOT!

The shut down of travel is coming be it by government order or simply the fact that the airlines even with 70+% of domestic flights now cancelled can't afford to fly the few flights that remain at 30% full. I said it before and I'll say it again that all domestic air travel will come to a halt just as virtually all international travel other than transporting US Citizens back to the states. Don't underestimate what is coming. The markets certainly aren't. Have you taken a look at your retirement accounts lately? I know I have.

I do agree that we all haven't taken the last flight as the Federal Government is going to put forth a financing package and further packages that will save major industry.

Are the airlines going to fail and go bankrupt? No. Just as the cruise industry will not fail and go bankrupt. Why? Many say "Let the cruise lines fail as they are all incorporated in Liberia and Panama and pay no US corporate income tax.. Let Liberia and Panama bail them out!". Or, "Let the airlines fail as we've been treated like cattle for years!". If only it were that simple. The airlines and the cruise lines don't own those planes and ships... The banks that advanced billions and billions of dollars to finance those planes and ships own them. The federal government must support these industries to maintain the stability of our banking system. Want to go to your bank and find a "Closed for business" sign hanging outside? I don't think so.

The shut down of travel is coming be it by government order or simply the fact that the airlines even with 70+% of domestic flights now cancelled can't afford to fly the few flights that remain at 30% full. I said it before and I'll say it again that all domestic air travel will come to a halt just as virtually all international travel other than transporting US Citizens back to the states. Don't underestimate what is coming. The markets certainly aren't. Have you taken a look at your retirement accounts lately? I know I have.
When it jumped to South Korea and case numbers were doubling every two days, air travel is what I thought about immediately. I called my financial guy and told him to get me out of the stock market. He tried to talk me out of it, but the next time I called him he called me his "stock market guru". I'm not, really; I just figured missing a few month's growth if I got out and nothing happened would be better than staying in if something did.

When it jumped to South Korea and case numbers were doubling every two days, air travel is what I thought about immediately. I called my financial guy and told him to get me out of the stock market. He tried to talk me out of it, but the next time I called him he called me his "stock market guru".

Congrats ggunn. Well done. You'll probably be the 1 in 100 who can afford a trip to Coz in the near future. The only icing on the cake you could add is did you then swap immediately to short positions on the cruise lines, airlines, amusement parks and energy? If you did you're easily a millionaire or multimillionaire by now. Unfortunately, I'll just have to weather the storm just as I did during the last Great Recession. Kudos to you though... The world is on fire sale right now for travel and will be for a long time (if ya can get there and back).

The world is in one heck of a mess right now and it is going to get worse for us. That is going to send 3rd world tourist destinations into immediate economic depression. The one thing about the 3rd world countries and their populations is there is very limited credit. No one in the 3rd world has $20K of credit card debt. No one has a 7 year $50K auto loan to be repaid. No one has leveraged their homes to max as most are passed down by family. Call me nuts but the 3rd world will endure this mess better than we will. People think Mexicans are dirt poor and they may be but they own what they own and aren't buried in debt.

You could always use the excuse that you are making a trip to pick up a few supplies.

Today at the new Chedraui:

1L-NzfqEX5uIewS4MVJSYoNvO-f-Xclv3TXvFLXGIK0Uo86zMq7Em53qvxwER3wbB-S6M3NPq1v2QmFu-HSe9OI2UUbamSIoDMklSNTE9qSu5D43iqgNP6gFOgiZTE7Cjb2gdf5SOlZOV7Q6pdonFj0libEOvUvbHI2SofF_4TlA89XvBSl5ViTczYCK_x9lqvsIXCtnyn5Sdk74J6r1_yODAgaOTstRID7QRQDSiv6TLF-dx10YFfc53_b3xIvi2qMJbMtCbAPMLDfB5HSWHJLMOAhJLmJowSbm3Xwh9cjjhK6tCT36-5Lyy1tysu5qjT021ayEhpTyWKft90AHVF0VMcYQ-em2UmlXZLW5q8LQyAcngM6k1U0YrugDYjzrnZmYvGaP4Ese5LUk48DJG-KPluf9ehPBUNP24wFSS7W0A-D7JQpFwXkczXADCedhSG9tIYY7NfWWnj6PVDKNYmJv1kuMoUIuNZgNiASXmBq3LqS4L9PwyEPaz5oXNihqT1IVC0GXP9AYIXGkwF_3EJPJwmheXDA0r1L53dkUtkQ0TBd6V2ykRSzaAuuj9aIbA0be0zQMcHIQL7kGagLdU3MM-1ksxqohVZxhGAK5U8CFV0wCNEKdFvIe7Nbb6ufMpfcQhttHZfAht-T0ArmhL3rbsH9-O4SCjLxg8HI2oZF7mj02w6Bz8AU5O1Lg1w=w1054-h790-no

It took me a minute, but I believe you meant "bred". :D
That would be correct and I may have made that mistake possibly more than once, although that‘s probably not why the post was classified as inappropriate and was deleted. Or maybe it was...

Congrats ggunn. Well done. You'll probably be the 1 in 100 who can afford a trip to Coz in the near future. The only icing on the cake you could add is did you then swap immediately to short positions on the cruise lines, airlines, amusement parks and energy?
No, I am neither that financially savvy nor opportunistic. And no, I'll not be going to Cozumel or anywhere else in the near future. I'll be content if I and those near and dear to me come out of this alive and not financially ruined, although there is no assurance of either.

No, I am neither that financially savvy nor opportunistic. And no, I'll not be going to Cozumel or anywhere else in the near future. I'll be content if I and those near and dear to me come out of this alive and not financially ruined, although there is no assurance of either.

You got out at the right time. That's half the job. The other half is getting back in at the right time.

I cashed out in mid 2008 and spared myself most of the damage. I was so proud of myself. And so nervous about getting back in that I missed the rebound in 2009. I was all set to get back in early March, which would have been pinpoint perfect timing, but I was going on a trip to Mexico and decided to hold off. Stocks popped that week and then I waited for them to drop back some. They didn't. Then it became a viscious cycle of thinking it's too late and then they go up some more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom