Foreigners not allowed in Sorong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As of last night, I have read that if coming to Indo you will need to apply for a visa with proof of health through an Indonesian embassy. If approved, when you land you will be required to submit your health certificate and undergo a health screening at the airport. If you have been to Iran, Italy, the Vatican, Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland China, South Korea, and the United Kingdom in the last 14 days you cannot enter. More countries will be added soon.

Y'all... its pretty simple. Don't come here, stay where you are and hunker down. It sucks. I know. We are having a baby this week. My 78-year-old parents were to be on their way in two weeks to meet their first grandchild. Not happening. Is what it is. The sun will continue to rise and set... life will go on.

As of last night, I have read that if coming to Indo you will need to apply for a visa with proof of health through an Indonesian embassy. If approved, when you land you will be required to submit your health certificate and undergo a health screening at the airport.
This would make some sense if the change waited long enough for travelers to do this kind of visa application. But the news articles I am relying on make it sound like this goes into effect Friday midnight. I am due to leave for Sorong on 21 March, and I have never heard of a visa going through that fast. Nor do I or my doctor have any idea how to provide a health certificate. Such a shame, I was looking forward to this trip so much and now it looks like a bust.

Although I think that the real crisis is about life and death, About fear and losing millions of people. I still want to say something about cancelation policy. For many live aboards and resorts it will be extremely difficult not to go out of business for ever. This will not be over in some weeks. The money received for these booked trips is often already spent. Or have to be spend on salaries and other costs. How to finance future trips if they have to be offered as a compensation for a missed trip, without payment? Getting a loan from the bank is practically impossible here in Indonesia. And even if you can, the interest is more than 15%. Employees do not have any social security from the government. They fully depend on their employers. One employee is often taking care of many family members. They pay their costs of living and education. Going on a dive trip is a luxery. Something you can do without. A cancelled holiday is no fun, but not a disaster. But food and a roof are essential.
As most of the resorts I have contact with, we offer the possibility to postpone a trip and keep the prepaid amount as a credit. Although in our cancellation policy it is very clear stated there can be no refund, whatever the conditions are.

To confirm your booking you only have to provide us with your full name(s) and a copy of your confirmed flight itinerary.
Payment can be done at the end of your stay, by internet banking, cash*, debit card or credit card.
Payment can also be done in advance. If you want to prepay, we offer you a 10% discount on the part of your reservation you pay in advance. This discount is not valid for the transfers by boat, car and airplane. To receive the 10% discount, you have to ask for this when you make the reservation and let us know which part of your booking you want to prepay. We will send you an invoice promptly and the invoice must been paid within 1 week after receiving your invoice. For any reservation made shorter than 30 days before your arrival date, we cannot offer this discount. By paying when you make your reservation you exclude also possible negative fluctuations in the exchange rates. Please note that there is no refund at all of this amount in case you cancel your trip, for whatever reason. Please note that we release temporary reservations after 7 days if we did not receive a copy of your tickets or a payment.

But please be aware that this comes to very high costs for us and our staff. Most of them will have to take unpaid leave until tourism picks up again. But at that moment many resorts and live aboards will be gone. Unless a miracle happens.
We, the resorts and live a boards, are loyal to our guests. Please be loyal to us. Try to claim from your insurance first. And then consider again.

What we decide to offer is the following.
. In case your insurance does not cover it, the best thing we can offer you is that we keep the payment you made as a credit for a future reservation. But it cannot be used for more than 50% of the final bill. For example, you paid IDR 52.870.000. If the final bill of your next reservation would be IDR 105.740.000, we would deduct IDR 52.870.000, -. However, if you final bill would be IDR 60.000.000, we would deduct IDR 30.000.000.

Dito, same here - I would probably go for that, but our LOB thus far has been completely inflexible according to our travel agent. Being repeat customers hasn't helped either and nor it being one of the high end boats...

:eek::confused:

people should seriously consider coming to Indonesia or anywhere in SE Asia in the next few weeks or months. It will get much worse.

Can't
No way to get there and then not able to get back to home

Thanks for coming in with the resort's point of view. This is a tough time for everyone, I can afford to lose the $ I spent on a single trip, employees and dive resorts will be losing their entire income for weeks possibly months. IMHO it is time for a bit of perspective here.

I personally don't buy trip insurance - prefer to self insure and so far with the number of trips I have done and the cost of insurance I am far ahead making that decision. If my upcoming trip goes away and the deposit goes away it will not be the end of the world. Am very aware that the resorts and liveaboards I have booked with may simply cease to exist if this goes on for any extended time.

If you decided not to purchase trip insurance - which I am sure was recommended by your resort/agent - I am having a little bit of trouble having much sympathy for those getting pissed because the resort/liveaboard is not covering your loss. Seems to me they are going WAY above and beyond by offering any credit at all. Just my opinion.

I really like your attitude with regard to what we can afford to lose vs staff and maybe the lob companies

This would make some sense if the change waited long enough for travelers to do this kind of visa application. But the news articles I am relying on make it sound like this goes into effect Friday midnight. I am due to leave for Sorong on 21 March, and I have never heard of a visa going through that fast. Nor do I or my doctor have any idea how to provide a health certificate. Such a shame, I was looking forward to this trip so much and now it looks like a bust.

You are correct. Friday at midnight.

From Friday, 20 March onwards, the following 3 visas will no longer be issued;

Visa On Arrival
Visa Free Arrival
Free Diplomatic / Service Visa

They will block arrivals for these visas for 30 days. This is the English translated press release from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;

Tuesday, 17 March 2020

1. The government continues to pay close attention to reports from WHO regarding the development of the spread of COVID-19.
  2. Bearing in mind that more and more countries have been infected with COVID-19, the Government strongly urges Indonesian citizens to limit their travel abroad except for urgent matters which cannot be postponed.
  3. For Indonesian citizens who are currently traveling abroad, they are expected to return to Indonesia immediately before experiencing further flight difficulties.
  4. A number of countries currently have policies to restrict traffic. Therefore, all Indonesian citizens are requested to keep a close watch on information in the safe-travel application or contact the nearest RI representative hotline.
  5. Regarding foreign visitors from all countries, the Government of Indonesia has decided that the Visa Free Arrival (BVK), Visa on Arrival and Free Diplomatic / Service Visa policies are suspended for 1 month.
  6. Therefore, every foreigner who will visit Indonesia is required to have a Visa from an Indonesian Representative in accordance with the purpose and purpose of the visit. When applying for a visa, you must attach a health certificate issued by the health authority in each country.
  7. In addition to the above, there are special policies that concern the following countries: First, the policy towards China is still valid according to the statement of the Minister of Foreign Affairs on February 2 (link to statement) and Permenkumham number 7 year 2020 (link to statement).
  8. Second, the policy towards South Korea for Daegu City and Gyeongsangbuk-do Province is still in accordance with the Foreign Minister’s statement dated March 5, 2020. (link to policy)
  9. Third, migrants / travelers who within the last 14 days visited the countries below are not permitted to enter / transit to Indonesia. These countries are:
    1. Iran;
    2. Italy;
    3. Vatican;
    4. Spain;
    5. France;
    6. German;
    7. Switzerland;
    8. England
  10. Fourth, all arrivals / travelers must fill out and submit a Health Alert Card to the Port Health Office prior to arrival at the entrance of the Indonesian International Airport.
  11. If the travel history shows that in the last 14 days the person concerned has visited these countries, then the person concerned may be refused entry to Indonesia.
  12. Fifth, for Indonesian citizens who visit the aforementioned countries, an additional inspection will be carried out by the Port Health Office upon arrival in the homeland:
    • If additional investigations find the initial symptoms of Covid-19, there will be an observation at a government facility for 14 days;
    • If no initial symptoms are found, it is strongly recommended that the person perform an independent quarantine for 14 days.
  13. Extension of residence permit for foreigners / travelers who currently reside in Indonesia and has expired, then the arrangement is carried out in accordance with Permenkumham No. 7 in 2020.
  14. For KITAS / KITAP holders and holders of diplomatic / official residence permits currently residing abroad and their entry permits will expire, the arrangements are also in accordance with Permenkumham No. 7 in 2020.
  15. This policy will take effect on Friday 20 March at 00.00 West Indonesia Time.
  16. This policy is temporary and will be evaluated in accordance with developments.
The original Indonesian version is here;

https://kemlu.go.id/portal/id/read/...rkait-perlintasan-orang-dari-dan-ke-indonesia

Unfortunately the government website seems to be overloaded and rarely loads (probably lots of traffic).

I'm cancelling my trip anyway, but just curious, what does a health certificate mean for an American? Is it something a local doctor can give? The "health authority" in the country would be the CDC. And what would be required on it? Saying no symptoms? I've seen other countries requiring a negative test for the virus, but in America you can't even get the test unless you are showing the majority of the symptoms, meaning someone fully healthy won't be able to prove a negative.

Here is the info I have from an Indonesian resort in Raja Ampat as of March 18. This is subject to change but I am told the resort is accepting guests who have arrived in Sorong.

It’s a real disaster what is going on for the aviation & tourism industry. Luckily we can still continue to operate.

Sorong airport is NOT closed for foreigners. Raja Ampat as a region remains open for tourism.

Currently the regulations enforced for Sorong airport are: travelling is still possible for:

- KITAS
- KITAP
- Tourists with tourist visa issued by Indonesian embassy in home country (after medical check-up and clearance by doctor).

Visa on Arrival is not allowed. That is enforced by the governor of Papua, against the degreed from the president as he actually ordered that Sorong has to stay accessible for everyone (little fight going on between local governor and Jakarta government)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom