What impact will the absence of cruise ships have on the reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just had a semi private afternoon dive due to no cruise ship passengers. Saw several other boats out but far fewer than normal. For those that know the Fury (sailing cat), it went by with maybe 10 people on it. For the Fury, that's deserted! Not sure that we'll get any more afternoon dives in as there's just the two of us and they want four to leave the dock (understandable).

What impact will the absence of cruise ships have on the reef?

We are going to find out as the ships are going to be gone for many months (not just a few weeks). Perhaps the studies underway will continue and we'll learn of an amazing reef recovery with the ships not around. However, the powers that be will probably say that dive tourism is down so that's why the reefs are exploding with growth again and it has nothing to do with the reduction in cruise ships. I think the locals probably know best and it will be interesting hear their reports over the months to come.

For those that know the Fury (sailing cat), it went by with maybe 10 people on it. For the Fury, that's deserted!

Those Fury sailing cats filled of the nastiest gringo's who managed to scrape enough $ together to get on a cruise ship with 5000 of their best Walmart friends? These days anyone who takes a cruise finds themselves on ship 1/2 full of old people wheeling 02 tanks and walkers around and 1/2 filled with the likes of Walmart shoppers. Nothing against Walmart as I'll shop there in a pinch but everything I've ever purchased from Walmart ended up in a land fill a year later. No more shopping at Walfart for me.

We just had a semi private afternoon dive due to no cruise ship passengers. Saw several other boats out but far fewer than normal. For those that know the Fury (sailing cat), it went by with maybe 10 people on it. For the Fury, that's deserted! Not sure that we'll get any more afternoon dives in as there's just the two of us and they want four to leave the dock (understandable).
We may need to start a running thread of who's operating and who's not. Get enough people for a trip. Try to spread the business around a little. Keep things afloat until things are back to ... normal?! ... or something.

Speaking of occupancy rates....the Grand Occidental is totally sold out April 11-26th!?

I’m looking for those dates and possibly a call will reveal plenty of cancellation...?

Sold out or nothing available? Maybe they just aren't taking bookings that they are 99% sure will be canceled.

Sold out or nothing available? Maybe they just aren't taking bookings that they are 99% sure will be canceled.
Their web site said dates unavailable, so I assumed booked....I’m sure there will be cancellations.

Their web site said dates unavailable, so I assumed booked....I’m sure there will be cancellations.

I would assume they listed all their rooms as unavailable because they plan on the resort being closed not booked.

Back
Top Bottom