Will COZ close it’s borders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For now Air Canada hasn't said it but will likely follow the lead by Westjet who pretty much will only be flying Canadian routes after the 22nd. At best any flights (from Canada or the US) after today which aren't cancelled will likely have a lot of empty seats which will drastically hurt the bottom line. Airlines won't continue routes if no one is booking.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) | WestJet official site

Hello folks, just got back from CZM last night. The airport was peaceful like it always is...everyone was sad to return to the hype in the States because no one in Coz had a care in the world for our hysteria. The island is in bliss except for the cabbies who are stunned that the ships are no longer...for 30 days. Plenty of TP at the OXXOs,:wink: but you should all know by now that that's a BS worry item. The island was so calm and peaceful Sunday and Monday. We were part of the inaugural SWA flights and the ticket agents were observing everyone for symptoms but no one was harrassed. HOU when we returned last night was a GHOST TOWN and customs had a great process of staggering baggage deliveries so you could breeze through the final declaration line.

We were at the Palace for 6 days and then the wife and I decided to experiment with a cheapo at the Hotel Cozumel for a couple of nights...not our thing. We also visited Blue Angel and that's much more our speed. The diving was fantastic. Saw sharks, tortugas and a lot of eels and rays. Got the best show of my life of a huge eagle ray with 3 remora under it, feeding and crunching the shells (it was loud) in its huge mouth for about 15 minutes at the end of our 55 minute dive so yeah...1:10 underwater and for the first time in my life was attacked full speed by a 7 ft green moray that had obviously been agitated by the newbie group before us. Perhaps someone is feeding it and the sharks at the end of Las Montanas????? I didn't get bit because as it was inches from my chest when it turned on a fellow diver...thanks Bruce for filming... in our group and he shooed it away with a couple of whacks of his camera.

We are waiting to see what the week brings with our companies and then we'll decide whether to head back down and camp out at BA for the next few weeks while no one we knows dies from CV. Be smart and get to diving and help COZ stay afloat with kind divers and peaceful hotel guests. The cabs will take you around all day if you want since they don't have to attend to parties of 6 with an average weight of 400lbs per.

I posted this link in a Bay Islands (Honduras) thread as a source of information. It's from the US Department of State and is COVID-19 information searchable by country: COVID-19 Country Specific Information. As of midnight Sunday, Honduras has closed all its borders for 7 days.

For Mexico, as of 14 March, there are 41 confirmed cases in Mexico.

A group of 5 (originally 6) of us is booked 01-08 April. Have been in "wait and see" mode but my gut is expecting the trip to be cancelled/rescheduled.

Tres Pelicanos just offered me a refund of the deposit for my April trip.

It appears Cozumel is one of a few locations in the Caribbean you can still get to. I wonder if that will continue?

I sure hope so. I'm anxious to return next week if the opportunity arises. i hit our local grocery store once we left the airport and it was NUTS and now with the announcement that bars and restaurants are closed for on site visits I imagine crime is going to skyrocket especially if the estimates of 1 million jobs lost. I'm taking the .45 ACP to the range this week to get ready.

Anyone that's flown into CZM in the past few days that can post a report on conditions at the airport? Wait times for immigration and customs, additional screening, issues with ground transportation, etc? I'm scheduled to fly to CZM on Saturday, 21-Mar.

I sure hope so. I'm anxious to return next week if the opportunity arises. i hit our local grocery store once we left the airport and it was NUTS and now with the announcement that bars and restaurants are closed for on site visits I imagine crime is going to skyrocket especially if the estimates of 1 million jobs lost. I'm taking the .45 ACP to the range this week to get ready.

I don't get it. The US is on virtual shutdown to try and limit the spread and you want to fly into an "isolated" area..... How are you handling yourselves while moving about the US? Are you going to self quarantine so that you know you aren't sick and how's that work during your time of travel?

I'm in Cozumel with my 13 year old son, my wife is in Michigan - it'd sure be nice to have her here but we don't feel it's the responsible thing to do.........

I don't get it. The US is on virtual shutdown to try and limit the spread and you want to fly into an "isolated" area.....

Does seem rather irresponsible when you put it that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom