Switching to BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a look at Sub Gravity. they have 4 wing sizes, 3 backplate options and 2 harness options to chose from. Their adjustable harness uses metal buckles instead of plastic. Well made gear and great customer service. Paragon Single Tank Package - Subgravity

Thanks everybody for their suggestions!

Thanks everybody for their suggestions, so if I got it correctly, harness and BP are basically all the same (and it makes sense since it's just nylon and steel) and the wing is the important thing, in this regard, there are any brands to avoid/aim for? Thanks!

When I first switched to BP/W, I bought my wing from one guy, my backplate from a second guy and my harness on sale. There are videos on YouTube showing you how to thread the harness onto the backplate (e.g. ).

Different plates will have different weights. I dive in cold water with a drysuit; drysuit requires a lot of weight to sink it. I have a 10 pound steel plate. When I go on holiday to warmer waters I have a 2 pound aluminum plate. There will also be slight differences in the extra holes cut on a back plate. But that is more personal preference. When you are first getting started, if you are like me, it doesn't really matter.

The wing is what really made a difference for me. The first BP/W I was diving single tank. The wing was old and had no built in stabilizers. So I had to use a single tank adaptor (STA). So I had the 10 pound plate, 2 pound STA and steel tank. Meant I didn't have to wear as much lead. However for warm water, the wetsuit wasn't very buoyant. So all the gear weighed too much. Switch to a wing with built in stabilizers. No need for a STA. The tank was closer to my back because no STA. Now a 2 pound plate, no STA and aluminum tank were fine for a 2mm wetsuit.

Some wings will have U shape. Some will be donut. Some will have bungee cords on the inside. Some will have bungee cords on the outside. most will have no bungee cords. I like the donut shaped wing because the air doesn't get stuck at the ends. Water pressure will compress the wing, so you really don't need the bungees. But bungees on the outside can get caught on something.

You want the wing to have enough lift so your gear will float with the wing inflated. If I used a 17 pound wing with 10 pound plate, 2 pound STA, harness, steel rings, steel tank and all metal regulators, it would sink; even if fully inflated a 17 pound wing cannot float all my gear. So I have a 32 pound wing. If I was diving doubles, I need more lift. Too much lift and the wing will have drag in the water. So you want as small a wing as possible but not so small it won't float your gear.

You want the wing to have enough lift so your gear will float with the wing inflated. If I used a 17 pound wing with 10 pound plate, 2 pound STA, harness, steel rings, steel tank and all metal regulators, it would sink; even if fully inflated a 17 pound wing cannot float all my gear. So I have a 32 pound wing. If I was diving doubles, I need more lift. Too much lift and the wing will have drag in the water. So you want as small a wing as possible but not so small it won't float your gear.

Not so small it won't float your gear nor that it is not able to counter wetsuit compression at depth plus gas in your tank.

@Dazee, as you are in Italy, you could consider an Italian small producer, which has great prices for hand-made products.
Here their DIR30 BP+WING, that I think is just perfect for your requirements, and which I am also probably purchasing soon (when we will be able to go at the sea again):

Bags Sport Diving Products - GAV DIR30

Complete of stainless-steel BP, Wing and harness it is just € 295, VAT (IVA) included.
With 28 € you get also a pair of weight pockets.
Please note that I am not connected with them in any way, I just discovered this small Italian manufacturer and I think we should try to support our small entrepreneurs, when possible.

If you are in Europe, xdeep, tecline and Daretodive are great (I own a daretodive because they were more in my price range and great quality/service)

I I’m looking into the proposition from @Angelo Farina for my girlfriend!

Seems impossible to beat the price!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom