Is Coronavirus keeping you from booking liveaboard/overseas trips this year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has a name. This is not in doubt. Perhaps you haven't heard? COVID-19. The virus is "severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
(SARS-CoV-2).

Calling it China Virus or Wuhan virus is a right-wing dog whistle.
Yes I do know that its name is COVID-19. There was really no need for you to be condescending. Your ad hominem attack of my awareness of the actual name was not really required. I was merely pointing out that referring to viruses or sicknesses by their place of origin is not without precedent.

As for it being a "right wing dog whistle", I would hardly call CNN a right wing media source.
China confirms Wuhan virus can be spread by humans - CNN

Yes I do know that its name is COVID-19. There was really no need for you to be condescending. Your ad hominem attack of my awareness of the actual name was not really required. I was merely pointing out that referring to viruses or sicknesses by their place of origin is not without precedent.

Sorry if I offended you. No offense intended. I am sick of people (not you) subjugating this pandemic for political purposes.

As for it being a "right wing dog whistle", I would hardly call CNN a right wing media source.
China confirms Wuhan virus can be spread by humans - CNN

January 22 predated the WHO name given on February 11. Now YOU'RE playing games.

Sorry if I offended you. No offense intended. I am sick of people (not you) subjugating this pandemic for political purposes.

The only person being political here is you.

COVID-19, Corona, Wuhan, Chinese Wuhan.....all are perfectly acceptable and accurate descriptions. 'Wuhan Virus' was used dozens if not hundreds of times by just about every major media and political figure. Right wing dog whistle? Please, more like a bunch of people need to perpetually find something to be outraged over.

As for the original question, yes. I had to cancel a liveaboard trip set for end of March and I'm waiting for things to cool down before I commit to any more trips.

According to reports in local media Egypt has banned all international flights from the coming Wednesday (the 19th).
Bye bye Red Sea until further notice.
Amazingly enough there are still people who think/hope that somehow their trip to the other side of the world in the following weeks or months will not be affected by all these. Like all these are not happening, or will be magically resolved by then or something!
I don't blame them - I was thinking the same about my trip last week. Then reality just woke me up.
Wake up people.

January 22 predated the WHO name given on February 11. Now YOU'RE playing games.

Nice try, but that article was from before WHO gave the virus a name.

Actually I'm not playing games. @tridacna you stated that it was a right wing dog whistle. If that is true, then that term should have never been used. CNN could have easily referred to it as novel-coronavirus but they chose not to. The headline could have very easily been worded "China confirms that an emerging Novel Coronavirus can be spread by humans" or "China confirms that a newly discovered respiratory virus can be spread by humans" but they chose not to. They chose the wording which they used. If it is a dog whistle now, it should have been then. Today, the virus has a name - COVID-19. Then it didn't, but there were other options available.

It is true that for people below 40 the survival rate is close to 100%, BUT ONLY IF TREATED PROPERLY in high technology units. Almost 20% of young people are in this severe medical conditions.
@Angelo Farina
Interesting (sadly so). Did not know. Might you have access to a source (link) about that in / statistic?

@Angelo Farina
Interesting (sadly so). Did not know. Might you have access to a source (link) about that in / statistic?
For updated statistical data there are many web sites, here just one, but the data are the same everywhere (as they come from WHO):
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) – Statistics and Research
Regarding my point, see the picture just after half of this long page, in the section titled
The severity of the symptoms of COVID-19
Please note that data shown refers to China, where the average age of populations is substantially lower than in Italy:
Severity-of-coronavirus-cases-in-China-1-768x661.png

19% of patents suffer of severe breathing problems, requiring hospitalization and intensive care units (oxygen or even artificial ventilation).
Now, scale this to our almost elderly population. See here the comparison between between the distribution of age classes in Italy and China:
Italy-China.jpg

Of course the percentage of people needing strong medical assistance is higher here than in Chine, as on average we are older.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom