New Genesis 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I discovered what seems like a quirk in the android battery app. This time of year (winter) it's hit or miss if I can dive sometimes with storms. If I have to cancel a dive I usually leave the electronics key installed for a few days/week to drag the battery voltage down close to the storage range - as it might sit for a month+ at full charge otherwise.

The main screen of the app does not register the slow steady amp draw taken by the electronics from having the key installed. After a week it still showed 98% but if i scrolled into the battery details they were down to around 3.8V each. Actually using the motor is required for the app mainscreen to see and record the power consumed and the state of overall charge.

rjack, if you want to drop the voltage down, just lock the trigger on, turn the speed up to max and use it as a fan for a few hours. Doesn't hurt a thing and it will use about 50 watts at full speed in air. I did that for 8 hours once, to drop the voltage for airline safety. There's no shaft seal to over heat running in air. The motor controller only consumes about 4 watts quiescent power when enabled.

Cheers,
Jon

I put it in my dunk tank on low for 45mins but only drew it down 10%. Any faster and there was major splashing!

Running low speed in water actually uses less power (around 30-40W) than max speed in air.

Running low speed in water actually uses less power (around 30-40W) than max speed in air.
I noticed that. At first I was apprehensive to run it in air, especially on max.

I only got 30mins of trigger time last Saturday after recharging so I had to run it down a bit. Got it down to 69% in a bit over an hour of dry running while putzing in the garage doing over things so was a good way to put it in storage. Not as ideal as it could be, but I doubt they will be stored for months and months. More like 2 to 4 weeks before I'm scootering again.

I ordered a BlackTip. It is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. But, I have been following this thread and with my BT set to arrive, my Scooter Fever is at an all-time high. I keep revisiting all the "real" scooter options.

I just did some math on the Genesis 2.1 specs. The specs say it has a range of 8.7 miles at 150fpm. That is over 300 minutes of run time!

The Genesis 2.1 is only something like 9 # heavier than a BlackTip, which only does 120 minutes at 150fpm. I can't find the BlackTip dimensions right now, but I think it and the 2.1 are about the same length, too.

I have no NEED for the extra capabilities of the Genesis (yet), but MAN, do I want one!

Some day... *sigh*

I ordered a BlackTip. It is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. But, I have been following this thread and with my BT set to arrive, my Scooter Fever is at an all-time high. I keep revisiting all the "real" scooter options.

I just did some math on the Genesis 2.1 specs. The specs say it has a range of 8.7 miles at 150fpm. That is over 300 minutes of run time!

The Genesis 2.1 is only something like 9 # heavier than a BlackTip, which only does 120 minutes at 150fpm. I can't find the BlackTip dimensions right now, but I think it and the 2.1 are about the same length, too.

I have no NEED for the extra capabilities of the Genesis (yet), but MAN, do I want one!

Some day... *sigh*

Scooters are a bit like crack, addiction is nearly instantaneous. At around $2K with batteries, it's a great entry level DPV. You just need to futz with it a lot more than a Genesis. Be careful of contaminating your seals every time you open and close it, don't scratch the plastic sealing surfaces and rinse it well, as I see a couple places where sediment can collect and lead to corrosion/jamming.

When you get tired of being limited to one long dive on a charge, not being able to precisely match your buddy's speed and having to bump the speed up and down, dripping water inside when you open to recharge, replacing shaft seals, not being able to swap hands and give your arm/shoulder a rest, and not having enough thrust to push through serious current or chase down dolphins, sea lions and sharks, give me a call. :D

I just took my new Genesis 2.1 for its maiden voyage today. I came from a Silent Submerge Viper, which I still own. Overall, I have nothing but praise for the Genesis 2.1. The scooter does not generate any torque on your arm and is comfortable to operate underwater. Did not have any problems with the variable speed control and became intuitive after a few moments. Switching my primary light to my trigger hand did cause me to bump the speed control. However, after figuring what to-do and what not-do, it became a non-issue.

In a dry-suit with doubles and a slightly short tow cord (had to install a double ender to get the proper length), I don't believe I even taxed the scooter's capability. The variable speed controller goes from the 6 oclock position and has a dead spot up to about 5 oclock to the 4:30 position. Max speed is just beyond the 12 o'clock position. I had the speed controler at the 3 oclock position and at least from what I could determine match the cruise speed of of my Viper (Speed 2/full pitch). I did use max speed for very limited time. I could not stop my regulators from freeflowing, and at that speed, could not tolerate the "discomfort" from my crotch strap but for a few seconds. I cannot over-exagerate the amount of pressure applied at max speed.

While off the trigger, the DPV's handle rotated to the 6 oclock position. Did not really like this, since this does drag on the sand, when you're close to the bottom. Need to figure a method of preventing this. I would like for the handle to sit at the 3 o'clock position, when it comes to a stop. Would greatly appreciate any help in adjusting the DPV so that it behave sin that manner. That was my only quirk.

Against Jon's recommendation, I did install all the given weight into the body of the DPV, which made it negatively buoyant. The DPV comes with a big and a small weight pouch. I believe that the scooter will be fine without the small weight pouch, perhaps even a tad bit buoyant.

Overall impressions: Mild mannered Beast! So much power, yet so wonderfully well behaved..

I just took my new Genesis 2.1 for its maiden voyage today. I came from a Silent Submerge Viper, which I still own. Overall, I have nothing but praise for the Genesis 2.1. There scooter does not generate any torque on your arm and is comfortable to operate underwater. Did not have any problems with the variable speed control and became intuitive after a few moments. Switching my primary light to my trigger hand did cause me to bump the speed control. However, after figuring what to-do and what not-do, it became a non-issue.

In a dry-suit with doubles and a slightly short tow cord (had to install a double ender to get the proper length), I don't believe I even taxed the scooter's capability. The variable speed controller goes from the 6 oclock position and has a dead spot up to about 5 oclock to the 4:30 position. Max speed is just beyond the 12 o'clock position. I had the speed controler at the 3 oclock position and at least from what I could determine match the cruise speed of of my Viper (max speed/full pitch). I did use max speed for very limited time. I could not stop my regulators from freeflowing, and at that speed, could not tolerate the "discomfort" from my crotch strap but for a few seconds. I cannot over-exagerate the amount of pressure applied at max speed.

While off the trigger, the DPV's handle rotated to the 6 oclock position. Did not really like this, since this does drag on the sand, when you're close to the bottom. Need to figure a method of preventing this. I would like for the handle to sit at the 3 o'clock position, when it comes to a stop. Would greatly appreciate any help in adjusting the DPV so that it behave sin that manner. That was my only quirk.

Against Jon's recommendation, I did install all the given weight into the body of the DPV, which made it negatively buoyant. The DPV comes with a big and a small weight pouch. I believe that the scooter will be fine without the small weight pouch, perhaps even a tad bit buoyant.

Overall impressions: Mild mannered Beast! So much power, yet so wonderfully well behaved..

So neutral buoyancy is key so that the handle doesn't end up in the sand. There is no way to keep that handle at 3 o'clock.

I flew two scooters to Bonaire last week for diving. They worked like a dream all the way down to 500'

@Ouvea
You can position the weight pouches in the tube so they are on one side and its neutral, then the handle will stay oriented however you want. It sounds like your battery might be reversed so the heavy side is up and it is therefore wanting to roll over.

The weight pouches only go in one way. The battery only goes in one way to connect to the white cable, unless you hosed up that cable.

Back
Top Bottom