7mm wetsuit overkill for Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reinnes13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

I'm a relatively new diver and set for my first liveaboard in the Bahamas in May. We will be doing up to 4 dives a day and with my recent AOW some will be deeper. I'm wondering about whether my current wetsuit for cold-water local dives would be too much. Its a Henderson 7mm full suit. The liveaboard recommends a 3mm full suit or shorty for May.

Are there any concerns other than overheating? Can I manage potential overheating by just letting some extra water in? My main reasoning is that because there will be multiple dives per day, having excess thermal protection might be helpful. I'm also not opposed to getting a thinner wet suit as well as a skin suit.

Thanks!
A

For me, 3 mm suit (with 2mm arms and legs) is fine for 4 dives a day in Bahamas. Overheating is a concern, and so is the extra led climbing up and down ladders. If you're worried about getting cold, I'd by a 2mm hooded vest that you can throw underneath a 3mm suit.

EDIT: most of my diving in Bahamas has been in the summer, but I've been in Turks and Caicos in November, 3mm full suit was good there. I did appreciate the hooded vest in the North red sea in July (78F) and I kindof wish I had it the Caymans in March.

Are there any concerns other than overheating? Can I manage potential overheating by just letting some extra water in? My main reasoning is that because there will be multiple dives per day, having excess thermal protection might be helpful. I'm also not opposed to getting a thinner wet suit as well as a skin suit.

No, it will not hurt the neoprene or anything else if the water is “too hot“. Yes, all you have to do is grab your neck seal and let a little water in to cool off.

I did a seven day Liveaboard in the Red Sea with 80° water temps wearing the bottom half of a seven mill two-piece. That means the only thing not covered by neoprene or my arms. Not only did it not damage anything, I never once felt the need to put water into my suit. But I hate cold.

For me, the seven mill two-piece is literally the only neoprene I use. For even the warmest water, just the bottoms. For cooler water, the whole suit. But if I’m tempted to wear the whole suit, I probably switch over to my dry suit. The only exception to that is high flow or other situations that make the dry suit too difficult.

i’m not saying you have to wear that much neoprene, but honestly I see very, very little reason not to. Yes, you might need a tiny bit more weight. but I will always take possibly being a little too warm and having to let some water in on occasion over being cold.

I think it is a little bit an overkill. I also think you will be a lot more comfortable in a skin or 2mm suit. I usually feel cooler on my last dive of the day, but the water should be pretty warm even for your 4th dive.

We just came from there, the water temperature was 74 and it was windy. I wore a 5 mil suit and lavacore vest and was chilly.
I would expect the water to be a little warmer in May, and certainly the air will be, for warming up between dives.
A 7-mil suit is probably more than you would need in May but aside from buoyancy issues it won’t hurt.

Grand Bahama in late April a few years back, we had a constant temp on every dive of 75º F. A 3mm full suit and full foot fins worked for me - was comfortable over a 2 week period (only did 2 dives a day, not everyday) - but everyone is different.

7 mm would be ridiculous. You may be able to do it, but you will sacrifice a lot of comfort. I've never found a 7 mm suit I like better than a 5 and a 3 is always more comfortable than a 5 mm.

A full 3 mm suit with hood should work for almost everyone. If you are really in tolerant of cold, a 5 mm might work.

Who plans for a liveaboard during the initiation of a world wide pandemic?

I dive a BARE Velocity 5mm universally, most of which is Caribbean, however lately with a little bit of Pacific bias.

I wear it due to back and leg issues, but having dived primarily Cozumel and other "warm" destinations, it has been a life saver.

Have to admit I've never been in anything thicker, but opening up both the neck and wrist closures during a dive keeps me comfortable.

7mm full suit so only 1 layer on your torso?
I would wear that in the Bahamas in May. 74f isnt that warm for 4 dives and add some wind on the boat you'll get colder and colder. Bring a beanie cap to wear or take off as you feel. You can also leave the back unzipped a bit to vent if needed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom