Coronavirus - Spain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really enjoy diving at La Palma. In summer and autumn the water goes above 20°C easily, and as other have said it is often really clear. Fantastic underwater landscape with volcanic structures like arches and tunnels. And really diverse sea life, it is the Atlantic after all. Also a world class destination for hiking and amateur astronomy!

So what are the islands like? I've always been intrigued by the Canary Islands.
Good luck on the dives. I'd love to hear about it.
The Canary Island is good for diving, I wouldn’t call it great though.

Its very convenient for people living in North Europe because:
  • it’s really cheap to fly there and only 4:30 hours from the UK
  • you can get cheap self catering
  • It’s part of Spain, so no visa at the moment
  • It’s still 20+ Celsius during January-March

I would add there is a lot of change. Not like you know one site, you know all!

Spain has now officially asked all business to stay closed, people should remain indoors at home if possible.

Only medical related business and supermarket are open.

To clarify, the dives are quite nice for sea life with turtles, Angel sharks, gurnards, ... You will not be constantly surrounded

The islands are volcanic and there are interesting formations.

IMHO, it’s not a destinations for wrecks and you may want to go to Malta for wrecks (similar flight times from the UK)

The other major selling point for the Canaries is that it’s very unlikely you get blown off: the islands are tiny with plenty of small bays.

That means that any day you can just find a spot protected from the wind that would be safe to dive. Also the South side of the islands is pretty much sunny all year around with no rain, so you can just sun bathe or walk outside if you fancy it.

Egypt is only a few hours further though from the UK.

I would love to tell you how diving on Las Palmas is, but was unable to go. In 2016 I spent 5 weeks there working in the shipyard. I brought my dive gear anticipating doing some diving on my time off. I called and emailed every dive shop on the island I could find (repeatedly), but no one wanted to have anything to do with a potential customer so I never got to go diving. I don't know if was the time of year or what, but they were just uninterested in setting up some guided dives for me. Good luck!

Yes, weather can be very different within just a few kilometers. Also goes for other outdoor activities!

diving centers working again, with special covid-19 measures, e.g. :

toilets closed (except emergency)
locker rooms closed
forbidden to spit in your mask
wearing the face mask even on board the boat
covid-19 form to fill in
etc..

U1QLUXnJ_t.jpg

photo nov 18 th - Alicante

Back
Top Bottom