SSI Independent anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vovanx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There are reports that SDI Solo and PADI Self-Reliant are somewhat recognized certifications and sometimes their holders are even allowed to dive alone.
What about SSI Independent Diving certification?
Does anyone have it? Have you ever been allowed to dive alone in dive center that does not know you?

I have not heard of an SDI solo diver being denied the ability to dive alone except in a few places where solo diving is simply not permitted at all.
I know of some sites that recognize the SDI solo card but not the PADI card because it does not specifically say solo.
I had not heard of the SSI cert until now. I would imagine that the same places that don't accept the PADI card may not accept the SSI one.
It may be a language thing, but I don't dive with or in dive centers unless you mean a dive location. I have never been denied the ability to dive solo. I try to avoid places that require a guide or DM and boats that put a DM in the water I have to follow.
In the US there are a few places who claim that their insurance will not allow them to permit solo diving. Some insurance companies charge additional fees if the site allows night diving.
I don't dive in those places that won't let me dive alone if I want to.

You need the certification that specifically states "Solo" diver. That would be SDI. I have not been denied solo diving in the USA with that SDI Solo Diver advanced card though I have had to argue with OPs on occasion over it. PADI branded OPs cannot wrap their minds around the fact that the SDI card specifically states solo rather than some allusion or inference to solo via adjectives like independent or self reliant. When diving outside the USA, specifically where locals make their income guiding divers, you will need to work that on an individual basis. When doing group drift dives, I kind of like having a guide in the water as long as I can stop and take photos and they just go their way and I catch up in due course. This usually will require discussion up front and most guides are agreeable once they understand.

N

i find it surprising that a shop would not "accept" a padi or ssi cert simply because of the name. it is simple enough to look up the course criteria to verify what it actually teaches a diver of there was any confusion. not saying what the above posters said is not true, just hard to imagine why this would happen.

but regardless of what the card says or which agency it is from, any shop, anywhere, for any reason, could deny solo diving if they want to.

jim I have heard the same that sdi is more recognized I teach both but most people want the sdi card

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom