Will COZ close it’s borders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I recall, COZ did not "shut down" when the H1N1 virus was the "end of the world". I remember travel warnings and such, but I really don't remember any closed borders. (Feel free to let me know if I am full of Barbara Streisand here). From what I have read about Covid-19 and past virus comparisons, as well as the common "seasonal flu", even if you do come down with it you are gonna be OK. (Exceptions for folks with pre-existing autoimmune deficiencies and the elderly, which would be the same for "seasonal flu".)
Be careful comparing the H1N1 incident of a few years ago to this outbreak; they are fundamentally very different.

I went to Cozumel during that one; it was great for us, selfishly speaking. The island's population of visitors was way down and there were no cruise ships during our visit; the reefs were uncrowded and we got seated and served immediately everywhere we went to eat. The disease itself may have been worse, but it was nowhere near as virulent as this one and it was a variant on the seasonal flu.

This outbreak is very different. I won't waste time and bandwidth here repeating what has already been said many times, but suffice it to say that my Cozumel plans with my soon to be 92 year old mom who has been going to Cozumel for a couple of weeks in the Spring every year since 1977 are very much on a wait and see status. I can imagine a best case scenario where everything returns to what we think of as normalcy in the next month, but I don't think it's likely.

Good question!
I purchased a travel medical policy that includes medical evacuation coverage from Blue Cross (GeoBlue Voyager). I called them and went over the evacuation scenarios from COZ to DFW and they assured me I will be covered. The written policy and exclusion of coverage also support what they told me. It was relatively cheap too. Zero deductible. $1M medical limit. $500k Medical Evacuations.

Thanks, I read my DAN insurance and on page 13 they specifically state:
"Expenses Not Covered by Emergency Medical Transportation and Travel Assistance Benefits
1. No benefits are payable under DAN TravelAssist with respect to expenses incurred:
c) for services, supplies, treatment or transport related to a pandemic, epidemic, or exposure to a contagious infectious disease;"

I have to check Goblue.

The only questionable denied claim from GoBlue i can find is :

Note: Injuries and Illnesses resulting from Terrorism and pandemics are covered as any other Injury or Illness provided all of the following conditions are met:
1. The Covered Person had no direct or indirect involvement in the Terrorist Activity;
2. The Covered Person has not unreasonably failed or refused to depart a country or location following the date a warning to leave that country or location is issued by the United State government."

So if you are in Europe, you not covered since that order was given to leave by last Friday unless you could not get out.

Somewhere on this forum I posted that my wife and I were in self-quarantine because we had contact with a friend who works at the University of Texas which is the current hot spot for coronavirus in Austin. She got sick a couple of days after we encountered her and she went in for a COVID test. We found out today that her test came back negative.

I wanted to post this in the same thread but now I cannot find it. Thanks to the post(s) of support but for now we are standing down.

Thanks, I read my DAN insurance and on page 13 they specifically state:
"Expenses Not Covered by Emergency Medical Transportation and Travel Assistance Benefits
1. No benefits are payable under DAN TravelAssist with respect to expenses incurred:
c) for services, supplies, treatment or transport related to a pandemic, epidemic, or exposure to a contagious infectious disease;"

I have to check Goblue.

I've posted a variation of this rant before:

Many in the scuba diving community are under the impression that DAN offers a good insurance policy. In my opinion it is a lousy value, offering less coverage for more money.

I've always purchased trip insurance for a number of reasons, which are immaterial to this discussion.

My favorite site is:

Travel Insurance - Compare and Buy | Squaremouth - I just find their site more user friendly.

You don't like the site? Then perhaps you'd like one of these better:

Travel Insurance Quotes - Compare & Buy Trip Insurance
QuoteWright Travel Insurance featuring the updated 2020 Travel Insurance Buyers Guide

Yes, you'll need to read the policies. Some policies exclude scuba diving, some limit coverage to 120', etc.

This trip (March 25 - April 5), I purchased Arch RoamRight Preferred. I also have some coverage for general travel from my Chase Mileage Plus Visa.

Good question!
I purchased a travel medical policy that includes medical evacuation coverage from Blue Cross (GeoBlue Voyager). I called them and went over the evacuation scenarios from COZ to DFW and they assured me I will be covered. The written policy and exclusion of coverage also support what they told me. It was relatively cheap too. Zero deductible. $1M medical limit. $500k Medical Evacuations.

Hopefully you won't need it but people often find that when they call with questions they are talking to an underwriting agent and when they call with claims they are talking to an adjuster, and the answers they get from each can be quite different. And the adjuster supercedes the agent. If you don't have it in writing, you've got nothing.

Hopefully you won't need it but people often find that when they call with questions they are talking to an underwriting agent and when they call with claims they are talking to an adjuster, and the answers they get from each can be quite different. And the adjuster supercedes the agent. If you don't have it in writing, you've got nothing.
Not true. An underwriter, or Agent as you call it, can override any claims decision if they deem it appropriate. Regardless, the decision relies on the verbiage of the policy and not the personal assumptions of an adjuster or inside claims rep.

Not true. An underwriter, or Agent as you call it, can override any claims decision if they deem it appropriate.

First I've ever heard that. Source?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom