So Many Questions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great advice from everyone! Buoyancy control is something I know I need to develop and I will definitely learn to frog kick.
Loosenit2- message received.. It is amazing and I love it
wetb4igetinthewater- I don't know what I don' know... can you please tell me what UTD essentials and GUE are how i would find places that teach these?

If you want to entertain the idea of diving in Lake George, you'll want at least a 7 mm suit, and possibly to consider a dry suit, though that's not something I would buy if you don't plan to make local diving a common thing. I considered doing a couple of dives while vacationing at Lake George a few years ago, but changed my mind because, at the time, I didn't have the cold water gear for it. You might also want to take that into consideration when looking at gear and make sure you get a BC with sufficient lift for the amount of weight you would need to carry in a heavier wet suit and ensure that whatever reg you get is cold water compatible.

wetb4igetinthewater- I don't know what I don' know... can you please tell me what UTD essentials and GUE are how i would find places that teach these?

First, please don't be offended if I'm stating what you already know. GUE (Global Underwater Explorers: https://gue.com) and UTD (Unified Team Diving: UTD Scuba Diving | Be a Badass Diver) are two DIR agencies (the latter was founded by the training director of the former and the one who designed the GUE fundies course). How the DIR term can be controversial with some, as some feel it expresses a condescending view of the mainstream industry. I was told by a DIR old timer that the term came about that "they" (proponents of the DIR philosophy) was told that they were "doing it wrong" and their response was "no, we are doing it right."

Now the above could be wrong, as I haven't been diving since the early 90s. But the end result is this. Both these agencies have excellent gate keeper courses for their technical programs. These gatekeeper courses ensure that divers have the appropriate recreational diving skills to proceed to technical diving training. Again, I cannot emphasize enough, these two courses are recreational skills courses, and while more expensive and longer than other typical mainstream agency courses, they are tremendous values. I guarantee that you will come away with dramatically improved skills. Now I'm not an instructor for either, but GUE fundies impacted how I dived and also how I teach my recreational courses, including open water.

You will improve dramatically your weighting, trim, propulsion techniques, control of ascents/descents (task loaded with sharing gas and on ascents deploying a DSMB). These courses simply cover the fundamental/essential skills (I tried to find an adjective that they don't use in their course names, but these are the best terms).

Again, I'm not a GUE/UTD instructor. I never will be. I just greatly appreciate the rigorous standards and quality in instruction for creating solid divers. As I'm on a hiatus from teaching, I send everyone interested in open water to the local GUE/NAUI shop.

So to find a course near you, there doesn't appear to be any UTD instructors in the New York area: Instructor Search | UTD Scuba Diving. For GUE: GUE Instructors, there is Meredith Tanguay who I understands travels to different parts of the US. I'd suggest reaching out to her to see when she'll be in a location that is convenient for you. GUE Instructor resumé

If I didn't answer your questions, please let me know.

I would recommend what I did early at the start of my diving and that's working on your lead weight. Most new divers are over weighted, some by 15 lbs. or more. Start by removing 2 lbs. or 4 if you think you are really over weighted. When you have 500 lbs. left in the tank, hold on to a line at the 15 ft safety stop. Cross your ankles so you aren't kicking. Empty your BC completely tilting side to side to get rid of all the air. Breathe normally. Do not take deep breaths. Then, release the line and see where you go. If you start sinking take another 2 lbs. out before the next dive or, have your buddy keep taking 2 lbs. out until you sink very slowly. At that point you should be properly weighted. On the next dive with a full tank of gas you must make sure you are not fining to descend. You may have to completely exhale to sink. When you get deeper than 8 ft you can take a shallow breath. Once you descend below 15 ft you can inhale deeply to catch your breath if necessary.

Once you get your weight right you will find diving more relaxing and enjoyable. You will also be able to stay down longer. The next thing to work on is trim. In 25 ft or deeper open water get horizontal and completely stop swimming. If necessary cross your ankles to make sure you are not swimming. See where you go. If you go head down take some weight out of the upper trim pockets if you carry weight there and put it in the main weight pockets. If you go head up you may need to move some of the weight out of the main weight pockets to the upper trim pockets.

You can also take a buoyancy class but it's just as easy to follow my advice and save yourself some money. Get the book if you are interested in the theory behind buoyancy. You can also check out rsingler's Excel buoyancy calculator to zero in your weight with the exposure protection you'll be wearing.

All I've ever done is the standard weight check as described in the OW manual. With a full tank and add 5-6 pounds.
Don't think I was ever overweight as a newbie. The OW courses I assisted on did weight checks at the ocean. For someone to be 15 pounds overweight after being certified is amazing.

For someone to be 15 pounds overweight after being certified is amazing.

I was given 36 lbs of lead in my open water class. I was firmly cratered on the bottom during class.

Actually, spending a lot of time on this forum is great idea, plus subscribe to Scuba Diving magazine (published by PADI). Join DAN (Diver's Alert Network) which gets you their magazine and access to free and for-fee online courses. Finally, learn how to relax in water - fear and anxiety are killers

I'm in the Albany area myself. Look up the Albany Aquanauts. A good group of people.

I haven't done any diving in Lake George since I live on Cape Cod during the summer. I started a dive on Lake George last summer, but had to abort. For the short period of time that I was in the water, I felt very comfortable in my 7mm suit.

Also, Kraken, the Albany dive shop, has regular fun dives at Lake George.

As for buoyancy and trim, I took a Core Principles class through Scuba Shack in CT and it was SO worth it.

I was given 36 lbs of lead in my open water class. I was firmly cratered on the bottom during class.
Yes, amazing. Apparently it's not like students are just a LITTLE overweighted by some instructors. Maybe I was just lucky back then as I have needed between 37 and 42 pounds over 15 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom