Shearwater Teric vs. Perdix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am thinking of getting one of these computers in the near futur. A lot of post about Teric battery issues lately. Is it that common? Enough to go with a perdix? I like the watch format. I know both are really good computers.
I ended up going with a Perdix AI, but did seriously consider the Teric for a bit. The main thing that drove me to the Perdix was that the watch format wasn't a big enough draw. I don't generally wear a watch, so the size of the Perdix during dives wasn't really much of a negative.

The battery issue was also a consideration, but not really a huge part of the decision. Even if there weren't reported issues with battery drain, I still might have gone for the Perdix due to the User replaceable batteries. I got several rechargeable Li ion batteries for a decent price. I keep a spare one charged and in my kit in case I need to swap it between dives.

I am thinking of getting one of these computers in the near futur. A lot of post about Teric battery issues lately. Is it that common? Enough to go with a perdix? I like the watch format. I know both are really good computers.
Honestly, if I had liked the watch form better, I still wouldn't hesitate. No device is without the possibility of an issue, but based on testimonials about Shearwater's build quality and response if I would be so unlucky to have an issue, it would still be a 'no-brainer' IMO.
Just get the one that will make you happy.

I no longer do any deco planned diving and bought the Perdix. I decided not to get the AI as I think it's not required for my recreational diving. I do not wear a watch so the Teric which one of my dive partner uses is really nice, was not for me.

I love the large screen and being able to setup the device to what I want. I actually am setup in OC Tec mode as I wanted to have some settings I use. Like changing the safety stop to 5 minutes and not 3. I also like the DECO CLEARED message that pops up in the right hand corner when your safety stop if done. I had the Suunto Vyper but it crapped itself when the pressure sensor went.

For me the ease of changing battery, needing only two buttons to go through menus, and the great visibility of the screen even in low visibility and night dives. I also bought myself a Cressi Digital Console to replace my analogue gauge. I love that as also so easy to read.

PERDIX SCREEN.jpg

I know this isn't a Shearwater but for those who may want a digital console In the top right corner it shows range.
This means on any point of the dive it shows how much time you have to 50 bar from current air / time / depth on the dive.

CRESSI  CONSOLE.jpg

I know this isn't a Shearwater but for those who may want a digital console In the top right corner it shows range.
This means on any point of the dive it shows how much time you have to 50 bar from current air / time / depth on the dive.
If you had bought the AI version, that info would have been on your Perdix screen.

If you had bought the AI version, that info would have been on your Perdix screen.

Yes but I decided then I don't need to see my SAC rate and other stuff on my screen on the Perdix. I've seen plenty of people with broken transmitters as they were not on a hose and got snapped off by dive crews, or just had trouble getting them working.

I have just the right amount on information on my screen as shown above for my Perdix. :)

My SAC rate is very low I really never bother to check it too much. :)

Yes but I decided then I don't need to see my SAC rate and other stuff on my screen on the Perdix. I've seen plenty of people with broken transmitters as they were not on a hose and got snapped off by dive crews, or just had trouble getting them working.

I have just the right amount on information on my screen as shown above for my Perdix. :)

My SAC rate is very low I really never bother to check it too much. :)
As you know, the display is very customizable, so you don't have to have that info displayed on the home screen. I don't have that on my home screen either, but the info is there in the log if I'm curious.
If you were fearful of damage to the transmitter by it getting snapped off, it can be easily rigged with a small hose to prevent that happening.
Happy your setup works for you though which is the aim anyway. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom