Intro to Wreck class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could go down to Florida but as @Marie13 stated, but I really would like to get trained where I will be diving or similar. Good instructors are always full of tips to help overall diving not just the wreck portion. My other option is 1000 islands NY, but I haven't investigated too much. I have my my dry suit course at the end of March and then get some practice in depending on the Corona craziness. So I have some time to find an instructor. Thanks for everyone's advice.

You are welcome to come join one of our wreck classes we run on Long Island and jersey. There are two different certs you can get through SDI for wreck. One is Non-Penetration and the other is limited penetration. Reel skills are taught in both, but depending on how the class goes we may or may not do penetration based on how prepared you are to handle the dives.

Just to answer another question on the post

a TDI Advanced Wreck instructor needs to also be a SDI wreck instructor in order to get the rating. A cave instructor would not just be able to get the rating based on their cave experience. They would need to first have a wreck cert, then instructor and teach a certain amount of classes prior to getting an Adv Wreck instructor rating.

I could go down to Florida but as @Marie13 stated, but I really would like to get trained where I will be diving or similar. Good instructors are always full of tips to help overall diving not just the wreck portion. My other option is 1000 islands NY, but I haven't investigated too much. I have my my dry suit course at the end of March and then get some practice in depending on the Corona craziness. So I have some time to find an instructor. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Highly recommend the limited penetration class option. That was a lot of fun!

You are welcome to come join one of our wreck classes we run on Long Island and jersey. There are two different certs you can get through SDI for wreck. One is Non-Penetration and the other is limited penetration. Reel skills are taught in both, but depending on how the class goes we may or may not do penetration based on how prepared you are to handle the dives.

Just to answer another question on the post

a TDI Advanced Wreck instructor needs to also be a SDI wreck instructor in order to get the rating. A cave instructor would not just be able to get the rating based on their cave experience. They would need to first have a wreck cert, then instructor and teach a certain amount of classes prior to getting an Adv Wreck instructor rating.

A certain segment of SB posters seem to think that recreational wreck classes are absolutely worthless and a cavern/intro to cave class is the only way to go. YMMV. They don’t want a wreck class taught by a cave instructor, they want the recreational wreck class totally skipped and ONLY cavern/intro to cave taken.

Dumb question, do they do the cavern or cave class on a wreck or down in cave country?

Which lake?

NC is generally suboptimal for actual wreck classes just from a scheduling perspective and most everything being on the edge of the nitrox zone makes for a very limited bottom time. If you fumble the tieoffs you have barely any no deco time to practice redoing it. Perhaps there are some shallower wrecks that give you enough bottom time to actually learn but I've never seen a class report from there.

I have seen intro wreck classes run on the Hyde (deck at 60 ft) and the Gill (90 ft to the sand but dive is in the mid 80s). Around here most are on nitrox very early in their diving.

One of the classes looked like it was well run. One of the classes I thought was less well so. They were told to go use their reels. There were lines all over part of the wreck Looked like a narced spider had been there. Some lines were several ft off the ground. Back to the old pick your instructor carefully if you actually want to learn anything.

Dumb question, do they do the cavern or cave class on a wreck or down in cave country?

No, it would be done in cave country. Also, while you would be able to do a cavern class in recreational gear (with a few modifications), you would need to be in tech gear (doubles or side mount) for an intro to cave class. Sounds like you’re nowhere near being at that point.

SDI and TDI are really the same agency.

Being an SDI Wreck Instructor is a prerequisite to becoming a TDI Advanced Wreck Instructor.
plus you have to have certified 10 SDI Wreck divers to qualify to take the Advanced Wreck Instructor class.

I wonder if a TDI Advanced Wreck (full penetration) instructor is going to be able to teach a recreational wreck class (limited penetration within the light zone) if they don’t already have SDI instructor ratings.

From TDI Instructor Trainer Manual:

11.5 Student Prerequisites 1. Minimum age 21 2. Certified as a TDI Decompression Procedures and TDI Advanced Wreck Diver or equivalent 3. Certified as a TDI Advanced Nitrox Instructor or equivalent 4. Provide proof of 200 logged dives, at least 50 must be wreck dives, 25 must be wreck penetration dives 5. Have certified 10 students in SDI Wreck Diver or equivalent

No, it would be done in cave country. Also, while you would be able to do a cavern class in recreational gear (with a few modifications), you would need to be in tech gear (doubles or side mount) for an intro to cave class. Sounds like you’re nowhere near being at that point.

Not true at all. Intro can be done on a single tank, per the TDI standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom