What is a day like diving from Nusa Lembongan Vs Labuan Bajo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never been to Labuan Bajo or Komodo so I cannot really compare, but I really liked my trip to Nusa Penida last October and didn't find the island of underwater especially dirty.

Dives are beautiful with loads of fish activity, and even if I was not so lucky with Mantas and Mola-Mola, I still had a great time.

You can check my trip report to make your own opinion about it.

I went to Liberty Dive Resort last year and the local guides were just as they are described on this board.....so incredibly observant, always always looking around, love the critters too and now most if not all have their own cameras so are excellent photographers as well. They know these dive sites like the backs of their hands. A decent guide is imperative for much diving. Every single one of the guides at AS in Padang Bai are also very very good.

I went to Liberty Dive Resort last year and the local guides were just as they are described on this board.....so incredibly observant, always always looking around, love the critters too and now most if not all have their own cameras so are excellent photographers as well. They know these dive sites like the backs of their hands. A decent guide is imperative for much diving. Every single one of the guides at AS in Padang Bai are also very very good.

I could not agree more. When I first moved to Indonesia from Florida I scoffed at the idea of having a guide. Where I come from no one uses a guide except "snowbird tourists" and dive boats are nothing more than taxis to take you to the reef, wreck, or spearfishing grounds. I was a very active instructor with thousands of dives... I often spearfished with trimix 150 miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico...blah, blah, blah. And people tell me I need a guide to help me zig-zag sand in 25 meters of water? Really?

Fast forward eleven years later. I have done hundreds of dives in Indonesia. I am obsessed with macro photography instead of spearfishing. I own a small house in Bali. I am certainly not a local, but I know my way around things. Bottom line: I would not dream of diving without a guide in Tulamben, Padang Bai, Lembeh, or Ambon. These guys make the experience special. All they do for hours and hours each day is find cool sh-t. They network with each other and work to build relationships with customers. If you dive well they are not there to hold your hand; they are there to show you why you came to Bali to dive in the first place.

I could not agree more. When I first moved to Indonesia from Florida I scoffed at the idea of having a guide. Where I come from no one uses a guide except "snowbird tourists" and dive boats are nothing more than taxis to take you to the reef, wreck, or spearfishing grounds. I was a very active instructor with thousands of dives... I often spearfished with trimix 150 miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico...blah, blah, blah. And people tell me I need a guide to help me zig-zag sand in 25 meters of water? Really?

Fast forward eleven years later. I have done hundreds of dives in Indonesia. I am obsessed with macro photography instead of spearfishing. I own a small house in Bali. I am certainly not a local, but I know my way around things. Bottom line: I would not dream of diving without a guide in Tulamben, Padang Bai, Lembeh, or Ambon. These guys make the experience special. All they do for hours and hours each day is find cool sh-t. They network with each other and work to build relationships with customers. If you dive well they are not there to hold your hand; they are there to show you why you came to Bali to dive in the first place.

Well my UK dive buddy may now need to cancel his Bali adventure. He could find Indonesia is suddenly on a travel ban and get stuck.
For me it's not an issue and if I came alone to Bali I would not dive without a guide.. I also now do a lot of macro photography.
I may even come to Bali earlier than planned as have more free time now as sports events world wide are cancelled.

I may even come to Bali earlier than planned as have more free time now as sports events world wide are cancelled.

Did you end up going to Bali? I had to cancel my whole trip :( Getting the visa from the embassy wasn't an issue, the issue was vendors closing and obviously covid-19 safety? I'd love to know how it worked out for you.

Did you end up going to Bali? I had to cancel my whole trip :( Getting the visa from the embassy wasn't an issue, the issue was vendors closing and obviously covid-19 safety? I'd love to know how it worked out for you.

No I decided to cancel the trip.

Sorry you weren't able to go on you trip as planned. Keep me posted if you plan to reschedule or if you hear about travel reopening or vendors planning to reopen!!
Stay safe :)

Good thing I cancelled as anyway Indonesia became a place you now need a visa to visit and a health check to get a visa.
Who knows the real figures for the virus there? I'm not sure flights out back to Taiwan are still flown now as well.

Good thing I did not go. All travel plans are now non existent.

Just dive the local sites.

Any restriction to Okinawa as it is so close to home?

No flights for any non essential travel in and out of Taiwan. Japan just went into state of emergency in 5 prefectures.

Back
Top Bottom