DIY Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I set it and forget it. But I'd safely say you could 20 or 30 times as long as you didn't tear them while seating the rings together. I do not lube any of my silicone rings. With the exception of summer time if I am sweating. Diluted baby shampoo is multi-purpose. You can also spray your mask with it to prevent fogging.

Truth be told (and the reason why wanting to remove rings) I also bought the Antares hard rings to clip the silicone seals in the suit. They were cheap enough so I figured why not. My theory was if I want to switch to a thinner wet glove I could also switch out from the round Ultima rings and go the Antares oval for better movement. I'm not sure if that'll actually become a reality, but that was the plan. It sounded good in theory, but the round Ultimas really aren't all that big to begin with.

So I ventured out and tried gluing up some gloves. Got latex bottleneck seals and the PVC 660s. Used weldwood.

Hasn't had a chance to fully cure yet so I can't speak to the strength of the bond. Time will tell.

However, I had a bear of a time getting the seal over the glove without it sticking in the wrong place or to itself. I placed the glove over a pumpkin can (read something about that here I think) and tried to put the seal over the cuff.

First I tried folding it back onitself and then unfolding it onto the glove...that was a nogo, Then I tried stretching and placing...that was a bit better but not neat and because it often stuck in the wrong spot probably no longer water tight either.

Anyone have suggestions on the simplest and neatest way to mate the two?

Yes…stop futzing around with your DIY of questionable reliability and get a proven solution like the Si-Tech QCS cuff ring coupled with Rolock 90 or Ultima DGS. Simple, effective, minimal fuss, minimal frustration, and very reliable.

-Z

There are quite a few threads on dryglove systems some of which are quite pricey. I thought I would repost this thread that has a $5.00 solution.

So I ventured out and tried gluing up some gloves. Got latex bottleneck seals and the PVC 660s. Used weldwood.

Hasn't had a chance to fully cure yet so I can't speak to the strength of the bond. Time will tell.

However, I had a bear of a time getting the seal over the glove without it sticking in the wrong place or to itself. I placed the glove over a pumpkin can (read something about that here I think) and tried to put the seal over the cuff.

First I tried folding it back onitself and then unfolding it onto the glove...that was a nogo, Then I tried stretching and placing...that was a bit better but not neat and because it often stuck in the wrong spot probably no longer water tight either.

I used a form made from pvc and a lot of layers of duct tape to "match" the circumference of what I was gluing so I could just roll them into place.

I'm with @Zef, easier to glue the rings in and never think about it again... very easy to swap cheap gloves on a rocking boat.

I used a form made from pvc and a lot of layers of duct tape to "match" the circumference of what I was gluing so I could just roll them into place.

I'm with @Zef, easier to glue the rings in and never think about it again... very easy to swap cheap gloves on a rocking boat.

My thoughts as well. I've done at least three different DIY glove setups, involving latex seals, or PVC rings and vacuum cleaner belts, or various pullover gloves.

In the end, I've got SI Tech rings glued into my suit -- I removed DUI zip seals to put SI Tech rings glued into my suit. Not only are the basic rings pretty darn reasonably-priced, they can hold seals (even silicone seals) *and* gloves simultaneously (which many ring systems can't), and they're very straightforward to use and work fine with a variety of glove types.

As a self-professed cheapskate, it was hard to give up on the DIY stuff and go with the rings (professionally installed, no less); but I don't regret that decision for an instant. I probably spent almost as much on wasted DIY solutions as I spent on the right solution.

Having said that... I have used a configuration very similar to @rob.mwpropane : PVC pipe wrapped with the right amount of tape to make the proper mandrel. Still a hassle, still easy to screw up. Go with the rings: for $64, they're hard to beat. If you want to cheap out and simply pull gloves over those rings, you can; but when you're ready for rings on your gloves, you can add them. :)

My thoughts as well. I've done at least three different DIY glove setups, involving latex seals, or PVC rings and vacuum cleaner belts, or various pullover gloves.

In the end, I've got SI Tech rings glued into my suit -- I removed DUI zip seals to put SI Tech rings glued into my suit. Not only are the basic rings pretty darn reasonably-priced, they can hold seals (even silicone seals) *and* gloves simultaneously (which many ring systems can't), and they're very straightforward to use and work fine with a variety of glove types.

As a self-professed cheapskate, it was hard to give up on the DIY stuff and go with the rings (professionally installed, no less); but I don't regret that decision for an instant. I probably spent almost as much on wasted DIY solutions as I spent on the right solution.

Having said that... I have used a configuration very similar to @rob.mwpropane : PVC pipe wrapped with the right amount of tape to make the proper mandrel. Still a hassle, still easy to screw up. Go with the rings: for $64, they're hard to beat. If you want to cheap out and simply pull gloves over those rings, you can; but when you're ready for rings on your gloves, you can add them. :)

I'm not following? I did start to go down the DIY hole with something but in the end I came to the same conclusion. Just glue in the right rings and then you have the option of a multitude of different setups.

This is what I glued into my suit (then I chose the Ultimas to clip in); I still DIY everything myself, but nothing off script that hasn't been done before.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220314-045841_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220314-045841_Chrome.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: Zef

The only thing that I disagree with here is the suggestion for the si-tech round wrist ring system, recommended via the link.

The round ring system works, but is bulky and limiting as to what dryglove systems will integrate with them. I would strongly recommend the si-tech oval ring system…just based on the fact that there are more CNN options for plug and play / readily integratable dryglove ring systems.

-Z

The only thing that I disagree with here is the suggestion for the si-tech round wrist ring system, recommended via the link.

The round ring system works, but is bulky and limiting as to what dryglove systems will integrate with them. I would strongly recommend the si-tech oval ring system…just based on the fact that there are more CNN options for plug and play / readily integratable dryglove ring systems.

-Z

Right on point. My phone wasn't letting me copy / paste this morning, but here they are in all there very inexpensive glory.

Reactions: Zef
I just ordered another RoLock set from Seaskin, March 6th and received them in the mail March 12. Buy the PU rings, RoLock and seals from them and you’ll be done in a few weeks and diving the most enjoyable glove system available at present.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom