Neoprene Neck Seal Growing Pains?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am diving a (new to me) neoprene drysuit. It has a neoprene neck seal that I'm having issues with. I'm pretty sure it's me and not the suit. It seams like I can't get a great configuration between the neck seal itself and the hood.

When I get in there's a large rush of water around my neck (and cold). The hood kind over overlaps the seal. I'm not really sure where the seal and the hood are supposed to meet? Overlap? I would assume the hood would go over the seal, even if slightly? I think I've read I want it bellow the adam's apple?

Also, it happened twice on Sunday. If I looked up air would escape through the neck seal, and then into my hood. I'm thinking I just don't have enough turned in on itself to fold down enough (maybe).?

Any suggestions / pictures would be great.

On another note, drysuit diving might not be as bad as learning how to dive all over again, but it's definitely different. I find myself questioning "do I want more air in the suit...is that the squeeze they talk about?,.... maybe I need more air?"...lol.

Interesting ride. It's also different in that you almost need to be perfectly horizontal to feel the bonus of the suit, which kind of helps out trim....almost like a human level with the air moving slightly back and forth inside. If I'm horizontal I can feel it all over, if not, well.... I can't because it's somewhere else.

I am diving a (new to me) neoprene drysuit. It has a neoprene neck seal that I'm having issues with. I'm pretty sure it's me and not the suit. It seams like I can't get a great configuration between the neck seal itself and the hood.

When I get in there's a large rush of water around my neck (and cold). The hood kind over overlaps the seal. I'm not really sure where the seal and the hood are supposed to meet? Overlap? I would assume the hood would go over the seal, even if slightly? I think I've read I want it bellow the adam's apple?

Also, it happened twice on Sunday. If I looked up air would escape through the neck seal, and then into my hood. I'm thinking I just don't have enough turned in on itself to fold down enough (maybe).?

On another note, drysuit diving might not be as bad as learning how to dive all over again, but it's definitely different. I find myself questioning "do I want more air in the suit...is that the squeeze they talk about?,.... maybe I need more air?"...lol.

Interesting ride. It's also different in that you almost need to be perfectly horizontal to feel the bonus of the suit, which kind of helps out trim....almost like a human level with the air moving slightly back and forth inside. If I'm horizontal I can feel it all over, if not, well.... I can't because it's somewhere else.
Yes on both observations, good trim is pretty important to the benefits of a dry suit. Squeeze is less pronounced in a neoprene suit but still there.

If the neck seal is not to stretched out than roll more under, you may want to make sure your weighting is right so that you don’t have to much air in the suit because to much burping will or can unroll the seal and let water in.

Yes on both observations, good trim is pretty important to the benefits of a dry suit. Squeeze is less pronounced in a neoprene suit but still there.

If the neck seal is not to stretched out than roll more under, you may want to make sure your weighting is right so that you don’t have to much air in the suit because to much burping will or can unroll the seal and let water in.

Interesting points about the weight. I started with 24lbs, last Sunday was much better with 20lbs. I plan to keep going down until I find that sweet spot. I think it'll be somewhere around 18 or so.

Seal is not stretched. It's pretty new (an tight). I can definitely roll more into it.

I fold at least 1 1/2" in. My last replacement neck seal was much longer, so maybe even 2". With the longer neck, I find it easier to pre-fold before putting my head through. This usually means the back is nicely positioned without struggling.

If you roll in more neck seal you’ll be worse off, only roll enough to make a seal and when you put your hand inside the roll should be nice and flat against your skin. Get all the air out and only pump to relieve pinch or you’ll have a bag of air between your shoulder blades which must go somewhere and more than likely it will be out the neck seal. Don’t fiddle with the suit if the hood is the problem. Try another hood.

I appreciate the suggestions. I'll have to give them a go next time and maybe get some pictures taken of how they mate together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom