Air fare bargains are appearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a wonderful story that was making the rounds a few years ago. I heard it while waiting to board a long United flight to somewhere overseas...one of those 12+ hour is-it-ever-going-to-end flights....

The story took place at O'hare Airport late one evening. The last United flight to somewhere hadn't boarded yet, everybody waiting, and the gate agent come son the PA system. "Folks, I'm afraid we are making a equipment change so everyone will have to get a new boarding pass. Please line up at the counter, and I'll issue them. We have lots of time, there are plenty of seats for everyone, so no problem. Get in line, please." One officious looking fellow marches up to the front of the line that is forming, bangs his fist on the counter, and shouts, "I am not going to get in any stupid line, I want my new boarding pass right now." She respnds, "Sir, if you just get in line, you'll get your boarding pass." He looks at her, and shouts, "Do you have any idea who I am?" She looks at him, grabs her PA microphone, and says, "Folks, we have someone here who has no idea who he is. Can anyone help him?" He says, "F*** You!" She says, "Sir, you'll have to get in line for that, too."

So my flight to wherever takes off and after many hours I'm standing in the galley chatting with one of the flight attendants, and I tell her I'd heard this great story about a gate agent at O'Hare....she stops me, and says, "Oh, yeah, we've all heard that story!" I ask, "Is it true?" she looks at me and says, "We all hope so."

Tom Hanks and wife are down with the new bug in Australia so there goes the warm weather theory again. I'm not leaving the US until my August trip to Cozumel. Who knows how this will play by then, but if I were to get stuck with flights canceled for my return, I guess my trip insurance would cover it to an extent, but I didn't buy much - a small coverage that covers the plan ticket as my primary goal was the medical coverage. Eh, I like cheap hotels so it'd cover me for a week or two.

Gate agents are people too. Treat them with respect, maybe a Hershey or Snickers bar and you never know what will happen? I usually start with "Hello, how are you doing." slide the confection their way across the table. Try it, don't make it obvious or a production in front of others. Some are more receptive than others. Hell, Just be polite and ask kindly with nothing expected. I have been pleasantly surprised just by saying hello and being courteous.
Gate agents powers have been somewhat diminished in what they can do, sometimes an agent can find a supervisor than wields even more magic powers.
Don't lose your kool or you may be in the back row by the Johnny Blue Closet. I've seen it more than once...
Mess with the bull and get the horns!
I need to start looking for a summer trip at this point....

I've been watching American for trips from STL to KOA (Kona, HI) for July and they are not budging. With the announcement of someone in HI testing positive for COVID19 maybe it will? But the price I'm seeing is the one I've seen for months ($619).
I noticed that Alaskan Air is advertising some specials that look impressive, then thought about your quest. They're not competitive for your trip, while American and United are still quoting $619. I'd bet that the airlines are hoping & praying that this will be over by then, so maybe specials will show up later. Well, I have to wonder what's wrong with $619 as I paid more than that from Lubbock to Cozumel RT last year, but it's always good to look for sales.

How do you handle this? I'd feel like a pandering fool. I'm not saying anyone is because I would like to have the panache to pull it off. Please advise
Speaking strictly for myself, I wouldn't either give or accept food to/from a total stranger in an airport. I always treat airport employees cheerfully and with respect, but I am not looking for special favors and I don't want to give them the impression that I am. DSFDF and YMMV.

Speaking strictly for myself, I wouldn't either give or accept food to/from a total stranger in an airport.
Sealed packages of candy? Like thousands of kids get a Halloween. I don't see danger.

I always treat airport employees cheerfully and with respect, but I am not looking for special favors and I don't want to give them the impression that I am.
:thumb:

Call me crazy. I just booked our September flights to Cozumel. The cost for STL to CZM roundtrip was $441 per person - and there was only ONE flight offered each way. I'm assuming as things improve more flights will become available. Hoping for the best.

Call me crazy. I just booked our September flights to Cozumel. The cost for STL to CZM roundtrip was $441 per person
Are those dates the ones you need? There are cheaper fares, altho these are probably Basic Economy.

upload_2020-3-12_9-12-35.png

Sealed packages of candy? Like thousands of kids get a Halloween. I don't see danger.

Yeah DD, I agree. And, the TSA inspected the candy -- it has to safe after their process. If the flight attendant or pilot get sick, they know where you are sitting.

Call me crazy.

No, I call you somewhat smart. Had you and Roger waited for the hysteria to crest in about two weeks, then I would have called you both geniuses.

Here in southwestern Ohio we have no confirmed cases. Ohio has three confirmed cases on the shores of Lake Erie, and one in Dayton. Some students are being tested in Dayton.

And Mayor Cranley is shutting down Cincinnati. Parades and other events have been cancelled.. The Reds parade is cancelled. That is a century long tradition.

Schools are shutting down around me. My school/employer is weighing options. Cathy and I may have to go down and see @TheChairman and/or @DeepSeaExplorer along with MrsDeepSeaExplorer in cave country. Always wanted to dive cave country.

Another two weeks and the deals will be incredible, IMHO.

Should we fly to northern FL or just drive... That is the question. I guess we would fly to Jacksonville or Tallahassee... Dunno.

I already get 3½ months of paid vacation. May I have another two weeks please?

cheers,
m

I’m laughing at most of these post for free upgrades....it hardly ever happens and offering up goodies isn’t going to work 99.9% of the time....I fly with a Crew Tag and I hardly get upgrade, so I just purchase First Class when the pricing is right...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom