Cozumel Airport and Batteries 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NTJB

Registered
Reaction score
I know this has been posted and it's in the sticky, but the information I found was slightly outdated and I couldn't get to the bottom of it.

What is the deal with batteries and departing Cozumel? I understand arriving to CZM is not an issue, but I've now read conflicting comments, some people batteries are allowed when installed in equipment, some are saying they are allowed if taken out of equipment (like a flashlight), and then there's people saying it must be checked whereas others are saying it must be in your carry-on.

For anyone who has been this year, what is the deal now? I'd like to bring some spare batteries to Cozumel but not if I'm going to have to give them up at security on the way back.

I flew out of Cancun last month and had all my lights and batteries in my carry on. No issues at all. Not sure if that’s the case for Cozumel as well.

Last November (I know that's not as recent as you're asking) I carried lithium batteries in my carry-on without any problems.

Awesome, thank you everyone! Sounds like you can carry spares and in-equipment batteries in your carry-on.

I remember when leaving batteries in a dive light would get the light confiscated leaving Cozumel. That was before LED lights became common, and there was a risk for an overheating dive light starting a fire in the hold. I still have one of those old lights that I pack as a backup to my LED, always remove the alkaline batteries from both lights before packing, and pack those batteries in a ziplock, in checked bags.

I take spare NiMH AA batteries for my land camera, packed in a plastic carrying case, in checked bags aside from a couple in a case that I carry in my backpack.

Lithium batteries are the biggest risk. I carry one in my charger and another in a plastic case in my roll-on.

Back
Top Bottom