New Flex hoses vs traditional black rubber Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[QUOTE="undrwtr1, post: 8933111, member: 3986]I switched and couldn’t be happier. Less tug on my jaw .[/QUOTE]

If you'd switched to a rubber long-hose, there would be NO tug on your jaw (especially when your screaming OAO buddy is trying to rip your primary out of your mouth).:)

I use I mix of rubber and flex. Did have a flex HP fail pretty quickly a couple of years ago. I gather I wasn’t the only one that had issues with some of earlier flex hoses based on comments from a divemaster friend of mine with 10k dives. Maybe there is less of an issue now (not certain what brand, sorry ).

I use I mix of rubber and flex. Did have a flex HP fail pretty quickly a couple of years ago. I gather I wasn’t the only one that had issues with some of earlier flex hoses based on comments from a divemaster friend of mine with 10k dives. Maybe there is less of an issue now (not certain what brand, sorry ).

Yes, problems with the earliest/early versions were not uncommon.
I believe those issues were corrected years ago.

Divad - tried the longer hose route with minimal improvement. Miflex was night and day difference. Also, while I know it is the DIR/HOG fashion to have a 6 foot regulator hose, I’m too set in my ways to change what has worked for me over the years. I’m strictly recreational, usually shallower than 80 feet. My wife is my only buddy and we are completely in sync with each other’s gear and practice OOA drills regularly. She loves her Miflex too.

I converted, and am slowly converting back. Never realized the gain. Regulator tug can be corrected in better ways. Hate the zipper sound/feel as the overbraid rubs as you move around.

Has anyone with a new flex hose tried a recovery of lost regulator sweep? The stiffer rubber should be better at keeping a regulator floating to the right where a sweep of your right arm should find it again. I'm wondering if the more spaghetti flex nature of these new hoses could end up with the reg floating outside one's arm's sweep range. I don't know as I've been all rubber for 18 years without any issues so I see no need to change but I'm just wondering.

Has anyone with a new flex hose tried a recovery of lost regulator sweep?
Yes i tried this a few times as part of check-dives. No problem at all. The weight of the second stage pulls it down to the place you expect it to be.

I'm probably switching back from the miflex inflator-hoses due to recent valve quality issues though...

Has anyone with a new flex hose tried a recovery of lost regulator sweep? The stiffer rubber should be better at keeping a regulator floating to the right where a sweep of your right arm should find it again. I'm wondering if the more spaghetti flex nature of these new hoses could end up with the reg floating outside one's arm's sweep range. I don't know as I've been all rubber for 18 years without any issues so I see no need to change but I'm just wondering.

Never had a problem personally but that's why we learn two recovery methods, Sweep and Reach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom