CoronaVirus Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My choice would be number 1.

Would you prefer to lose $3K or $14K? Get stuck somewhere due to quarantine for weeks on end? How would your employer or the employers of others on the trip handle you being unable to get back to work for weeks or more if you were quarantined? Can you afford to be quarantined?

I only dive regionally, which means I load my car and go. I don’t do these huge overseas trips so this isn’t something I’m dealing with. But I wouldn’t even have to think about it. Number 1.

I'd ask for the extension. Its not likely that there will be a rush of customers to fill your spots if you back out right now, so the op may see it as in their best interest to be flexible.
Its worth asking.

Thanks for everyone's interest in this thread. I am the original person who started the thread. I am at the point I have to make a decision. To summarize:

We (my family) have a dive trip scheduled in June to the Philippines. I have already paid $3000 (likely non-refundable) in down payment back in the Fall. I owe $11,000 more which at this point is past due (have not paid yet because of Coronavirus concerns). It's an expensive (all inclusive) trip, but a trip we were really looking forward to. I have no trip insurance that would protect against Coronavirus-related cancellation. I have 3 choices:

1. Cancel the trip and lose the $3000
2. Pay the $11,000 and hope everything works out.
3. Ask for a month extension on the final payment to hopefully get more information before choosing between 1 or 2.

Any thoughts? Would anyone choose option 2? Thanks.

Ask for a long extension, longer than one month. If it's granted great. If not ask for a shorter one and so on, they may surprise you with a yes answer.

I’m with Marie, number 1.
Cut your losses and move on. Not worth it. But then I’m not much of a gambler and don’t handle stress well.
I also dive local and have never been on an all inclusive luxury trip so maybe I’m completely ignorant to just how wonderful and life changing they are. Three thousand is bad enough, but another eleven grand is a lot of money for a ‘maybe’.

#3 does not eliminate #1 as a fallback option, but it does give you time to see where this is all heading, if the op is flexible.

I'm past the point of no return on our Kona Aggressor trip next Sat. Fingers are crossed, and we will roll the dice.

Both Honolulu and San Francisco airports are potential problem as pots, government control wise, and 12 hours inside a sealed aluminum sardine can with several hundred of our suddenly closest new friends does raise some concern, but I am a gambler. This early in the "crisis", I'm thinking the odds are still with us.
If I were not willing to weigh odds, and trust my luck, I'd probably not still be riding Harleys on the highways with homicidal idiots in cars after almost 50 years.

I'm past the point of no return on our Kona Aggressor trip next Sat. Fingers are crossed, and we will roll the dice.

Both Honolulu and San Francisco airports are potential problem as pots, government control wise, and 12 hours inside a sealed aluminum sardine can with several hundred of our suddenly closest new friends does raise some concern, but I am a gambler. This early in the "crisis", I'm thinking the odds are still with us.
If I were not willing to weigh odds, and trust my luck, I'd probably not still be riding Harleys on the highways with homicidal idiots in cars after almost 50 years.
Make sure you are wearing a surgical mask from the time you step into any airport. Change it every 4 hrs and do not touch either side of it and discard it properly. Wash your hand as many times as possible. Don't touch your eyes and mouth with your bear hand. Sanitation wipe is utter important and swipe everything on the plane around you on the plane.

Personal hygiene is the key.

Enjoy the trip. Don't worry and be happy.

Does anyone else remember that John Travolta movie from the 70's?

Make sure you are wearing a surgical mask from the time you step into any airport. Change it every 4 hrs and do not touch either side of it and discard it properly. Wash your hand as many times as possible. Don't touch your eyes and mouth with your bear hand. Sanitation wipe is utter important and swipe everything on the plane around you on the plane.

Personal hygiene is the key.

Enjoy the trip. Don't worry and be happy.
Why are you recommending a mask when the experts say it has no protective value?

Back
Top Bottom