Peace dive boat ceasing operations EDIT: Changing hands, not ceasing operations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just Added the Peace to "BuckList 2020"... As I dive my way up the California coast from SD to Monterey or hopefully Tacoma & beyond?
Good Divin,
SoCalRich

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I have changed the title to reflect this new information so as not to mislead those that may just skim the title.

Sorry to see Eric step back, but wish him the best with his health and whatever comes next. The Peace has consistently been a stellar experience, always a fun time. Hope I get a chance to hop on board the new operation.

That's great news. Congratulations and best of luck to Cody.

P7240024x.JPG

Fingers crossed I can still use this in the future. :)

xBEcKp.jpg

Found this sticker among my stuff. :)

OmaQMZ.jpg

I keep getting excited when I see this thread bumped, hoping against impossible odds that there's been some good news...

I just received this email from Chris at the Sea Divers Dive Club. Looks promising:

"Sea Divers,

When it was announced in February that the Peace was up for sale and was going to cease operations, I reserved two dates on the Truth; October 14-15 to Cortes Bank, and December 5-6 to the Northern Channel Islands. My guess was that if the Peace was sold it would no longer be a dive boat.
As of a week ago the Peace has been sold to a group that also owns the Explorer Dive Boat, which now runs out of Long Beach. The boats will be managed by Bill Zhang who also runs a dive shop in Walnut.
The good news is that the Peace will remain a dive boat for now. However, the situation for us as a club going forward is as murky as a braille dive.
When I first got the news, I called up Bill Zhang and he told me the crew would be the same and Fidel would Captain the boat. So, I called up Fidel and told me he had run the Explorer for Bill but that he had not yet committed to running the Peace. I then contacted Brie and Joe and they told that Bill had not contacted them and they knew nothing of the plan.
Last Thursday Bill Zhang met with Fidel, Joe, Cody, Brie, Steve, and Tina to discuss plans; however I do not know the details of the meeting. Bill would not be on the boat he will only be a manager from shore.

Bill has told me they want to start running in June, but initially day trips only. I sent him an email saying we are only interested in overnight and multi-day trips.
The Truth has not run since the Conception disaster last year. It is not clear that they have crew to staff the boat.

The restrictions on running trips due to the “zombie apocalypse” (Covid-19) cloud the entire situation. So far there are no firm guidelines I know of from the Coast Guard or anyone else on running trips.

Social distancing is not possible on a dive boat. When we come back from dives we are dripping wet with snot running down our faces. The environment on a bot during a trip is generally very wet, especially while dives are happening. Wearing face masks is not practical in the wet environment. You can not spread people out because when it is windy or rough and the boat is moving you cannot occupy the bow, it is often too cold or to hot to stay on deck.

It is not clear to me when dive trips will go back to “normal” again. I suspect that the multi-day trips we love will not be possible until there is an effective vaccine making the prophylactic measures we all live with now moot.

At this point I am not willing to make any commitments for out club until I know what the rules and operational procedures will be. I wish I had a better story for you.

At this time club meetings are on hold, I will let you know when that changes."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom