Which boat; cutty or pontoon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMG_1498.JPG

I have the room after raising the garage door so for me my 2007 cuddy is good but needs 10' clearance on the trailer. My older 1987 Cuddy needed 13' on the trailer.

Attachments

• 070.JPG
    070.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 227
I have the room after raising the garage door so for me my 2007 cuddy is good but needs 10' clearance on the trailer. My older 1987 Cuddy needed 13' on the trailer.

What size cuddy do you have and how do you enter/exit the water; rear ladder? How many divers/gear can you accommodate comfortably?

IMG_1494.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG
IMG_1498.JPG
28' pontoon, will carry 6 sets of gear with 2 tanks each comfortably, have had up to 8 sets of gear also though. All cold water here in MI. benches are 2 6' strips of plastic dock pieces bolted down on custom welded frame with tanks holders. Lots of room to sit down and strap into gear.

How much boating experience do you have? The first thing you should realize is that what ever you choose, next year you can get something else. I've had around 10 boats, have tried different types over the years.
Get a decent starter boat that is a good value and gain some experience, if you get a good deal then you will not loose money when you move up, each time you move up, get an undervalued boat and sell it for what you paid or more. So that means you need to shop around for a long while each time, look at a lot of boats(so you will know the market) and be ready to act when the great deal comes along or someone else will snatch it!
When you've been hanging around the boatramp/marina you will meet people and gain knowledge. I have a cutty now that's 12' tall on the trailer, I built my barn with a door big enough to allow for the boat. I love it!
Have fun!

A pontoon boat (especially a Tri Toon) is a good option. Pinshootr did a great job with his pontoon boat conversion! if you can find an older pontoon boat with ratty interior that needs replacement, that should be cost effective. As long as the pontoons/deck supports are in good condition. Caveat: most pontoon boats, especially the older ones, are grossly underpowered and will be slooooowww.
Our pontoon boat (newer 27 foot tri toon with lifting strakes and 200 HP outboard) is not that. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom