DAN: Sanitize equipment with 10% bleach solution.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good stuff from DAN. My guess is most shops and renters won't do any of this. Maybe if everyone did this the DOW would bounce back...?

DAN ENCOURAGES DIVERS AND DIVE OPERATORS TO PROPERLY DISINFECT DIVE GEAR
Quoted from DAN

I have two questions:

1. Won't 10% bleach solution be too high for diving equipment like regulator? Would the diving manufacturer agree with that?
2. Won't 10% bleach solution be too high for the stuff that you're going to put in your mouth like mouthpiece?

Absolutely...

A cap full of bleach in a standard ''car wash'' bucket is more than enough...

All my gear gets a full soap/warm water wash after each and every dive...including travel diving...have never used any disinfectant due to adverse affects from known and unknown properties...and have never had a problem...either with ''trace bacteria...or gear deterioration''...

You don't wash your hands/mouth with bleach...

Having said that...this may not be the time for ''any rental gear''...especially anything that goes in your mouth...

What dive ops are telling you they're doing...and what they're actually doing may be worlds apart...

W.M...

What about StarSan which is what we use to sanitize beer brewing equipment? It is Phosphoric Acid and is food grade, no rinse, and is used at 1 oz per 5 gallons of water for soaking.

Steramine is what we use for Rebreather disinfectant and it is certified as Covid-19 effective. It's also a lot safer to use than bleach as it is food safe without secondary rinsing. Specific to this topic it's really easy to travel with. I just break 1/2 of a tablet and drop it in to an Empty generic spay bottle when I travel with my rebreather. But really this could be good for any general hygiene needs.

Fill the bottle with water at your destination and shake it up to dissolve the tablet. Spay this solution all over anything and everything you care to and it will kill most anything that might be living on it. Spray the regulators, coffee cups, your insta-buddy. Whatever.

Steramine Multi-Purpose Sanitizer | Dive Gear Express®

Steramine is what we use for Rebreather disinfectant and it is certified as Covid-19 effective. It's also a lot safer to use than bleach as it is food safe without secondary rinsing. Specific to this topic it's really easy to travel with. I just break 1/2 of a tablet and drop it in to an Empty generic spay bottle when I travel with my rebreather. But really this could be good for any general hygiene needs.

Fill the bottle with water at your destination and shake it up to dissolve the tablet. Spay this solution all over anything and everything you care to and it will kill most anything that might be living on it. Spray the regulators, coffee cups, your insta-buddy. Whatever.

Steramine Multi-Purpose Sanitizer | Dive Gear Express®

Scroll just a little bit down the page - there’s a notice the product is out of stock and no idea when they will have it again.

Scroll just a little bit down the page - there’s a notice the product is out of stock and no idea when they will have it again.

wow, craziness! They ought to sell it in smaller quantities. One $10 bottle of 150 tablets will make about 225 gallons of spay-on disinfectant. I've probably used under 20 tablets in the 5 years. When I deep clean my gear I just toss a tablet in the sink and soak everything in use. Regs, loops, counter lungs, canisters, etc. I keep a spray bottle full too but that last a long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom