Scopolamine - where can I buy it standalone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Ra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I am currently on Cozumel and had my first two dives today. I have so far never experienced motion sickness in my previous 20 dives, however today it got me really bad. I still managed to do the dives, but I was throwing up like crazy in-between the dives.

I was recommended to take Scopolamine without any other sleeping agents. Do you know a pharmacy in Cozumel where I can find it or something similar? I would want to avoid anything that makes me drowsy or sleepy.

Thank you very much for your help!

I would try either the pharmacy at Mega or Cheduai or the stand alone Farmacias Del Ahorro on the NE corner of Andres Quintanna Roo (the road next to Mega) and 30th Ave. I would avoid the little tourist stand 'Pharmacies' and the Similares type shops because there is no guarantee of what you will get. Probably do not need script but if so I have used Grupo Medicolon on Jose Morelos and 25th av. The manager of my dive shop recommeced them since it is where he takes his kids, a doctors visit several years back ran $50 MXN

Scopolamine is a patch that’s you apply to your skin. You don’t take it. I’ve never seen it mixed with any other agents. Should be widely available down there, ask around.

I feel your pain brother. I'm the poster child for 5seasickness. Forget scopolamine. Go to the drug store and ask for "Stugeron", which is generic for Cinnarazine. Best thing since sliced bread. 75 mg. is the effective dose. Take the first dose before you go to bed tonight and another before you go diving. It lasts for 6-8 hours. If you're doing multiple days of diving, no need to take it before bed again - tonight is just to get it in your system. It's like a miracle, and no prescription necessary :p.

I've tried Stugeron. Probably great for some but did nothing for me. Oral Scopolamine has been magic for me. I have my doubts whether you can get it in Mexico. I order it from Australia or New Zealand. Travacalm HO is the medication with no add-ons. The active ingredient is Hyoscine.

I second Cajun's recommendation. Any back street pharmacy will have Cinnarizine and it will be cheap. It is the sea sickness pill of the Royal Navy so if it is good enough for them it is good enough for me. Unfortunately, it is not sold in the states but Canada and Mexico sell it. However, for sea sickness recommended doses vary. 75mg for sea sickness is VERY high. The last bottle we purchased contained 75mg tablets as that was all that was available. We cut those in 1/2 for about a 35mg dose for sea sickness. Higher doses are used to treat conditions other than sea sickness and some can experience adverse reactions at high doses (everyone's different of course). We've never taken any the night before but I don't see why you couldn't if you wanted to. Just the morning of diving if it looks to be a rough on the water. Also, Cinnarizine is one of the few (if only) sickness pills one can take AFTER the onset of sea sickness and it will usually remedy it.

Tried getting scopolamine patches the last time we were there as I pay about $25/patch here at home. No luck, tried 15 pharmacies from little tourist shops to Mega and everything in-between. Hope you have better luck than I did. If you find them buy a bunch in case they come off. Mine normally last the full 3 days, but on occasion they have gotten lost

Hello,

thank you for your detailed responses, you cannot imagine how much I appreciate this!

So, it seems I have three choices:

1) Scopolamine patches
2) Hyoscine-hydrobromide (Travacalm HO)
3) Cinnarizine (Stugeron)

Does the majority (of divers with motion sickness) use Cinnarizine?

Thank you for the advice!

Hello,

thank you for your detailed responses, you cannot imagine how much I appreciate this!

So, it seems I have three choices:

1) Scopolamine patches
2) Hyoscine-hydrobromide (Travacalm HO)
3) Cinnarizine (Stugeron)

Does the majority (of divers with motion sickness) use Cinnarizine?

Thank you for the advice!
Are these the 3 choices you have came u with from the internet and suggestions, or what you found in pharmacies? If you found in pharmacies, do you mind sharing where?

Back
Top Bottom