Deployment underwater. Retrieval on surface.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about using a mushroom anchor which can simply be pulled back to the surface once you're back on the boat?

Drop the anchor and set the buoy, descend down ahead of the group and move the anchor to wherever preferable, give a 2-tug on the buoy line then the rest of the group descends, following the line. After the dive, just pull 'er back up!

One could brief the last diver to collect the reel on their ascent, that would require some co-ordination beforehand though. I usually have some very thin bungee in my pockets for in-water repairs to reg bolt snaps or what have you, that could act as a waster line if needed.

Maybe carrying a 5lbs weight wouldnt be out of the question, but I don't know that i want to be carrying around a literal anchor for the first 5-10 min of my dive, heh.

If I knew I could count on the last diver to do that it might be the best bet, but all it takes is the last divers jumping in to suddenly decide they'd rather be in the shallows for the entirety of their dive to muck that up.

How about this as a concept - More complex than a waster, but only need to do it once ...

Use a trigger shackle?
https://www.amazon.com/Kong-Quick-R...500606537&ref=&adgrpid=62061529859&th=1&psc=1
61my%2B9UztJL._SL1034_.jpg

71y12K1FZnL._SL1500_.jpg

Tie your wreck-railing attachment line in a loop.
Attach one "end" of the loop to the the fixed-pin side of the shackle, pass the loop around your fixing point and engage it on the releasable side of the shackle. Obviously this line and attachment point needs to be chosen so the line can be pulled free when the trigger is released.

For the up-line you could use a second, small release line from the trigger run to the surface float.
- OR -
Use a heavy up line attached to the fixed-pin, connect the release trigger so it is pulled when the up-line is at full extension, but gather the up-line down to the fixed-pin with an appropriately HD bungee so that unless there is a real strong pull on the up-line the trigger remains engaged. ("real strong" being maybe 2x the float buoyancy). Time to go - grab the line from the boat and pull hard.

Possibly, the whole lower assembly - loop, shackle, bungee and maybe a few feet of HD line could be set up with a ring on the end. Then whatever up-line you are using could be attached to the ring.

JERSEY UP LINE
julrdiving.jpg
Many wreck divers who explore deeper shipwrecks prefer to mount a Jersey Up Line to their tanks. This 5/16 sisal line is wrapped carefully around a home made reel which is usually about 18 inches long and six or eight inches in diameter. Out of each end protrudes an end of the wood shaft or pipe that runs through the reel. The shaft ends are the diver's handles. Usually a 50 or 100 pound lift bag is permanently attached to the loose end of the sisal line, and the whole unit is attached to the diver's tanks by a strip of elastic cut from a car inner tube. To use the up line, the diver reaches back for the lower inner tube strap and pulls it off the bottom handle. He can then grab the bottom handle and pull the Jersey Reel free. The diver then removes the elastic that keeps the line from unwinding, puts a little air into the bag and, while holding both handles, lets the line unwind as the bag rushes to the surface. Note that if the line is not carefully and neatly wrapped, it will most certainly pull out of your hands as the bag ascends. After the bag has surfaced, release some slack then tie the upline to the wreck. Be certain to select a strong spot with no sharp edges. He then cuts the line and puts the reel into a mesh bag and brings the bag with him as he ascends on his own improvised anchor line. This method is excellent because it not only gives the diver a good solid durable ascent line, but the lift bag also acts as a surface marker. Once finished with a safety or decompression hang, the diver can cut the line close to the surface, fold the lift bag and swim back to the boat. If done correctly, the diver will be up current from the boat and can almost drift back. The sisal line that is dropped back onto the wreck is bio-degradable and, therefore, causes no environmental marine problems.

I was wondering if anyone still used a Jersey up line.

DW

I don't know of anyone using, but have seen in the past.

That is what I figured. I hadn't heard one mentioned in some years.

DW

I was hoping to avoid ascending and descending multiple times. I think the waster line might work well.

This was the scenario that inspired this thought:
At a particular dive site I know of a small plane wreck. Only problem is that its sitting in sand at around 65ft. The dive site is up against the island in shallow water. Setting up a marker for other divers to descend along would save them a lot of possibly fruitless kicking at that depth. It would be awesome to use the waster line technique to mark it, then go about my own dive like normal
I wouldn't use a waster on a plane wreck. Most airplanes consist of little more than thin aluminum sheets riveted together. Even a thin line might damage the wreck before it parts.

I'd bring an extra weight and once your marker is up, tie it off and bury it in the sand near the wreck. You can also get 5 lb. mushroom anchors (they are normally used for kayaks) that would be less likely to wander.

I wouldn't use a waster on a plane wreck. Most airplanes consist of little more than thin aluminum sheets riveted together. Even a thin line might damage the wreck before it parts.

I'd bring an extra weight and once your marker is up, tie it off and bury it in the sand near the wreck. You can also get 5 lb. mushroom anchors (they are normally used for kayaks) that would be less likely to wander.

Yeah, I think that might be the best solution. Certainly the most simple. I dive a backplate and wing and can just thread a 5 or even 6lbs weight into my waist strap for travel and then tie off to that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom