Check my shopping cart - BP/W harness components

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BalekFekete

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I'm taking my first dive *insert rimshot here* into a BP/W setup now, and only have the harness left to buy. Here is what I'm thinking will make for a complete package, however, I'm resisting pressing the Checkout button without some expert confirmation. Any help is much appreciated!

From DGX:
Flat Nylon Webbing, per {1 ft | 30 cm} | Dive Gear Express® x 15
Dive Rite Shoulder Pads, Set of Two | Dive Gear Express® (do these help protect the wetsuit? That's my main thought in including them)
DGX Hogarthian EPDM Loop For 2-Inch Webbing | Dive Gear Express® x4, one for each side, one on the belt to hold the end of the strap, and one extra
Dive Rite Crotch Straps | Dive Gear Express® 1.5" slide strap is what I was thinking
DGX S/S Quick-Release Buckle, Heavy Duty, {2 in | 5.1 cm} | Dive Gear Express®
DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} Serrated Belt Slide | Dive Gear Express® x 5, two D-rings right side, one left, two on the waist. Bent on torso, straight on waist
DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} D-Ring w/Bend | Dive Gear Express®
DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} D-Ring, Standard Gauge | Dive Gear Express®
DGX Trim Weight Pocket (each) | Dive Gear Express® x 4, two for trim weights, two for waist ditchables. I'm thinking they go on horizontal, so I'll rig up a shock cord pull cord that I can loop into the weights when I put them in.
DGX Black Plastic {2 in | 5.1 cm} Belt Slide | Dive Gear Express® x 4, to lock in weight pouches into place
DGX Tank Strap, Standard with S/S Cam Buckle | Dive Gear Express®

How'd I do? :D

why not just buy the harness?
DGX Ultimate Hogarthian Harness | Dive Gear Express®

You don't need the shoulder pads/
You don't need the plastic buckle unless you are diving with a canister light
You don't need trim weights for single tanks. Completely unnecessary. I would recommend you try a rubber freediving weight belt before you start thinking about trim and ditchable weights as neither are needed with single tank diving.
Which backplate are you using with this?

The EPDM rubber loops are good, but you are going to spend 8 dollars on them....it works just as well to buy a large inner-tube for a bicycle for a few dollars and cut it into strips, yields a couple dozen.

@tbone1004 may have perfected the art of the balanced rig with single tank, I have not and still find the ditchable weights and trim weights necessary with an aluminum back plate. I have a pair of the trim weight pockets you indicated for use on the tank straps but use Cave Adventurers - XS Scuba Quick-Release Single Weight Pocket - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold! for ditchable weight weight.

Nothing wrong with the 1.5" crotch strap, the utility of the 2" strap is if you ever intend to use a DPV, the wider 2" is more comfortable with the DPV pulling on it.

You also might want to add some bungee cord to create hold down for your bcd inflator hose.

another option to buy it all at one place is Vintage Double Hose, they sell a full Hogarthian strap kit for 48.95 Store | Vintage Double Hose

why not just buy the harness?
DGX Ultimate Hogarthian Harness | Dive Gear Express®

You don't need the shoulder pads/
You don't need the plastic buckle unless you are diving with a canister light
You don't need trim weights for single tanks. Completely unnecessary. I would recommend you try a rubber freediving weight belt before you start thinking about trim and ditchable weights as neither are needed with single tank diving.
Which backplate are you using with this?

Like the unanimous feedback on the shoulder pads - they’re gone.
I’m still new enough of a diver that is still honing in on the right weighting. Given that coupled with the idea I really dislike a weight belt - been already too many times that it’s ended up sliding down my legs - I think the weight pouches are likely a good idea.
This’ll go on a SS Freedom Plate with wedge and 23# VDH wing.

Nothing wrong with the 1.5" crotch strap, the utility of the 2" strap is if you ever intend to use a DPV, the wider 2" is more comfortable with the DPV pulling on it.

You also might want to add some bungee cord to create hold down for your bcd inflator hose.

I don’t see a scooter in my foreseeable future to be honest (wife would KILL me for any other purchases now for quite some time! ). I do have 25’ of 1/8th bungee in hand already for the inflator but thanks for the reminder.

The EPDM rubber loops are good, but you are going to spend 8 dollars on them....it works just as well to buy a large inner-tube for a bicycle for a few dollars and cut it into strips, yields a couple dozen.

you can actually just go into most bike repair shops and they will be more than happy to give you their trash inner tubes...they are just going to toss them anyways...I did that and walked out with a box of a dozen different sized inner tubes so I could find one that fit my webbing well...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom