Getting AOW in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really? When did they start doing this? And what agency?

For PADI, you do the e-learning online and then just go take a quick test at LDS and learn how to analyze tank.

For PADI, you do the e-learning online and then just go take a quick test at LDS and learn how to analyze tank.

oh well, yeah... I knew that. Your previous post said you could get the nitrox cert online. That's a little misleading... you can do the knowledge portion online, as with all PADI classes, but you still have to have face-to-face time with an instructor to get the cert.

oh well, yeah... I knew that. Your previous post said you could get the nitrox cert online. That's a little misleading... you can do the knowledge portion online, as with all PADI classes, but you still have to have face-to-face time with an instructor to get the cert.

Someone else said it but they were probably referring to e-learning too since the rest is so easy.

i did my padi adv in the dominican. by the time i figured the cost of the dives if bought separately (i actually did 5 dives) i ended up paying very little for the cert. so it just made sense to do it. there was lots of good info for a rookie diver in the book i received. can't say i learned a ton but i certainly did learn some things i would not have otherwise. like planning multilevel dives with "the wheel". haha not that this helps me at all these days. haha

i also did my padi nitrox course while on holidays years ago on another island. again, this shop included 2 dives, so the course basically cost nothing.

As far as cards go, this is one that can be useful if you dive somewhere that insists on the AOW card to go deeper than 60 feet. You can read stories from people that have been diving for decades, have hundreds if not thousands of dives and are denied dives deeper than 60 feet because they only have an OW card. Cozumel isn't one of those places.

.... if you want to become a better diver, take the course with an op that will really teach you something.

@mattspiral8,

@nodakdive and @jonhall said it pretty straight. Since you have only had OW for a short while it definitely won't hurt you to get your AOW and Cozumel is as good a place as any to do it. It will cost you. Depending on the Dive Op it may be worked into one of their dive packages. Many places around the world and even a couple that I know of in Cozumel require AOW to go on a deep or advanced dive.

Cowboys like me with a history of hundreds of dives that have demonstrated the skillset necessary to make advanced dives are sometimes allowed to do so with only an OW c-card. :)

Good luck with your future diving. Dive safe and have fun.

Cheers - M²

I just did my SDI AOW Feb 11 in Cozumel, I went with Robertas Scuba Shack with another diver I met there for his PADI AOW. If it is something you want to do, do it, dont listen to all the negativity. I suggest reaching out in advance and setting something up. I had all my online classes done months before figuring out my check out location. The people at Robertas were awesome to deal with and took their time making sure we were safe and did things correctly, also helped educate us. I didnt want to just get the card I wanted the experience. Best of luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom