CoronaVirus Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Philippine government has put a ban in place for all Philippine citizens to fly to Korea unless you're a over seas worker. Also a ban on Koreans from the one infected province to fly into the Philippines. Just hoping a ban for those traveling through Korea to Manila isn't put into place. If that happens I'm hoping Asiana airlines will issue a refund of my plane ticket from the states in time to book a direct flight to Manila on Philippine airlines from Los Angeles or San Francisco. I'm sure a lot of people are crossing their fingers hoping this virus will start to diminish soon--but not looking good.
It should be an all out ban on Korea rather than selected places.
The decision is politically motivated.
Good luck to the refund.

The Philippine government has put a ban in place for all Philippine citizens to fly to Korea unless you're a over seas worker. Also a ban on Koreans from the one infected province to fly into the Philippines. Just hoping a ban for those traveling through Korea to Manila isn't put into place. If that happens I'm hoping Asiana airlines will issue a refund of my plane ticket from the states in time to book a direct flight to Manila on Philippine airlines from Los Angeles or San Francisco. I'm sure a lot of people are crossing their fingers hoping this virus will start to diminish soon--but not looking good.

We are going in November through Incheon. Fingers crossed.

FWIW, I am supposed be heading to the Philippines in a few days. I am not that worried about the virus, but it would be a disaster for me if I could not get back when I need to, and I worry that as things develop, flights from Philippines to the U.S. could suddenly end or if I had sniffles and a cough, they would not let me on a plane in Manila or lock me in a military base when I got to the U.S. As much as part of me would not mind being stuck in a dive location for a month or more, I can't really pull that off. Bottom line is that I am not sure a virus would keep me from traveling, if I thought their health care was sufficient, but the risk of travel restrictions occurring while I am out of the country might make me cancel.

I'm flying to the Philippines this coming Monday, and I was supposed to come back two weeks later, then fly out to USA for a 2.5-week work project two days after coming home, but with our health ministry throwing out travel bans left and right - they have closed travel to Thailand several weeks ago, and imposed quarantine on everyone coming back - I ended up extending the vacation by four days and flying onward to New York from Manila instead of coming back. It's going to be a full circle with a couple smaller loops - TLV - ADD - MNL - DGT - TAG - MNL - JFK - LGA - CLE - LGA - JFK - IST - TLV. Packing for both Philippine and USA weather along with dive gear and underwater camera rig is going to be... interesting.

don't pack for the usa. just go to walmart.

Alas, my work will keep me pretty well confined to Manhattan (client's office in the diamond district by day, colo datacenter in Chelsea by night) and getting to a Walmart from there is pretty much a day trip.

As long as none of the items were made in china!!!!

:rofl3:

Target. The upscale Walmart. There are several in Manhattan.

FWIW, I am supposed be heading to the Philippines in a few days. I am not that worried about the virus, but it would be a disaster for me if I could not get back when I need to, and I worry that as things develop, flights from Philippines to the U.S. could suddenly end or if I had sniffles and a cough, they would not let me on a plane in Manila or lock me in a military base when I got to the U.S. As much as part of me would not mind being stuck in a dive location for a month or more, I can't really pull that off. Bottom line is that I am not sure a virus would keep me from traveling, if I thought their health care was sufficient, but the risk of travel restrictions occurring while I am out of the country might make me cancel.

I’m meant to be flying soon to the Philippines too. Here’s my 2bar if ‘logic’/thoughts ..

Risk of getting this virus is near negligible as of now, but if the spread accelerates globally, passenger numbers will plummet more, flights cancelled or reduced, possible quarantines, and worry for the family.

Worst case is if I get ill from it when away. I’ve got good medical insurance coverage but ... if I’m unlucky and it’s serious I’d prefer to be in OZ.

A week is a very long time in this current virus world. Most governments are playing catch-up. Only Singapore and China are doing a good job.

Diving’s fun. I’d prefer to help keep it that way so perhaps domestically is wiser now.

The dive shops in the Philippines can hold on to my refundable deposits for when I see them ASAP. Hopefully it helps a little with cash flow.

You dont havr to worry about getting thr disease here in cebu. The resorts are empty. Im here right now while typing this message. Dive industry is falling apart due to lack of divers. As locals were having it all for ourselves

Your only worrry is the travel bans. If they stop flights. We take a lot of precautions, probably the reason why no confirmed infections yet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom