Going to the Philippines - Squeal, giggle, snort...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoundForElsewhere

Snarkmeister
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I'm either brilliant or an idiot. I bought tickets to Manila from NYC on what I am guessing is the corona-discount for a 2 1/2 week trip this coming November. I have promised my wife three full days in Manila at the end of the trip for shopping.

I am traveling with the wife and kids (17 and 5) and I have to make this not look like a diving trip. Lucky for me, almost anywhere in RoP is a dive site. One itinerary is looking like Panglao and Bohol with maybe a trip to Siquijor or Cabilao. Another option is Cebu to Malapascua and Moalboal. Another might be Puerto Galera and Anilao. Thank god I have 9 months to figure this out.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I am trying to avoid intermediate flights between locations so I don't miss the dive days, travel time from location to location less than 3 hours (I know, Cebu Island doesn't fit this requirement but my son loves hanging out with the backpacking hippie chicks), not really into fancy hotels or resorts, and at least a modicum of activities the rest of my family can enjoy. Although they are mostly happy eating good food and chilling on the beach and snorkeling.

Not for her. Whenever we go to southeast Asia, we buy three years of clothes for our little one and sneakers for the teenager. SOOOOOO much cheaper. Also, going to malls, amusement parks, and open markets are great ways to see and experience how locals live and play. Better than going to tourist trap locations.

Bohol Family:
A ton of family activities, Probably the most to do in a smaller area in most of PI.
  • Tarshir Refuge
  • Butterfly sanctuary
  • Bee farm
  • Living forest
  • Choclate hills
  • Lomboc River cruise is a must for the family

Bohol Diving:
Wasn't able to go diving but there is a lot and I do believe out in Panglao there are dolphins

Cebu Family:

The traffic isn't as dense and there are several malls. There are many many water falls to goto and go swinmming. Food there is always a ton but
ZubuChon
zubuchon.com.ico.png
https://zubuchon.com....AHHH MAAAZZZINNGG

Cebu diving:

Oslob whale sharks 6 hour drive from the airport

Moal boal in general - There is a lot of night life there. You can go canyoneering with the family.

Malamasqua not much to do except sit on the beach. I ended up completeing my AOW water here and so happy I did. Thresher sharks, and insist on going to El Gato for a drop in also a great wreck dive here as well.

Well there is my vote....LOL. Safe travels hope this helps.

I'm not sure you can get anywhere in the Philippines in under 3 hours :D

I just don't want to have to drive 6 hours and then take a ferry. I did that in Malaysia and I almost broke my family.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I am trying to avoid intermediate flights between locations so I don't miss the dive days, travel time from location to location less than 3 hours (I know, Cebu Island doesn't fit this requirement but my son loves hanging out with the backpacking hippie chicks), not really into fancy hotels or resorts, and at least a modicum of activities the rest of my family can enjoy. Although they are mostly happy eating good food and chilling on the beach and snorkeling.
Backpacking hippie chicks are difficult to find in Philippines. It is NOT within the well trodden tracks from India to Indonesia.

Welcome Home - Harolds Mansion Hostel Your Home in Dumaguete
Apo Island, Dumaguete + Siquijor.

Send your elder son to Siargao to mix with surfing chicks!

He enjoyed the surfer chicks in Puerto Escondido this past July. Good idea

If you don’t want to fly, Anilao and Puerto Galera are the most obvious destinations. Not a lot of hippie chicks at either location though. Your son may be too young for the chicks in Puerto Galera (Sabang). In Anilao, there are some newer resorts that seem to want to attract a younger crowd (Destino...)
If you can reroute to Cebu or do fly there from
Manila, I think your options open way up.

Ferry to Bohol and there are lots of options. I like Alona. Diving and probably hippies. There is a Shaka cafe there after all.
I think Moalboal would have more hippie chicks but the diving is just ok IMO.
Malapascua is great for chilling out and the diving is pretty good outside the sharks.

As someone mentioned, Siargao is like Bali but can’t speak for the diving. I stayed at Kermits which is a haven for the hippie chicks and dudes. Didn’t dive there though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom