Choosing a 7mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for the amount of money a good 7mm runs, a customized seaskin should be considered. if you don't go crazy on the options, it isn't that much more.

Yeah, think I will pass. There pricing looks offensive. Best cold weather socks I have owned (Covert Threads Ice Extreme) only run $18, and I have put these into serious conditions. At $45 for a pair of socks, seems like typical, California, Apple overpricing, might as well buy Big Baller products too.

Good Info here. I found a Bare Reactive 7mm last night for $300, that I was debating on till I saw your post. Do you think there would be that much of a difference between the Reactive 7mm and a 8/7 Velocity semi dry? Never really looked into Semi-Dry before. I already have Hood (bald head loves warmth), Gloves at 7mm, Boots are 6.5mm.

I have an Aqua Lung SolaFX semi dry 8/7 mm. It’s a front zip and has attached hood. I am about to put it on the marketplace here. Now that I have a drysuit I have no need for that or my 7 mm honestly. It’s a size ML if you want to check the size charts and see if it will work for you. For those waters I would want to be as warm as possible, I’d go with my drysuit.

I
Yeah, think I will pass. There pricing looks offensive. Best cold weather socks I have owned (Covert Threads Ice Extreme) only run $18, and I have put these into serious conditions. At $45 for a pair of socks, seems like typical, California, Apple overpricing, might as well buy Big Baller products too.
I’m not sure what you’re looking at, but I am certain it wasn’t the right thing...

seaskin.co.uk

I also agree with @runsongas. For those temperatures for more than one dive, it’ll be miserable. You won’t die, but it’s harder to motivate. I bought a 8/7 semidry for about 500 bucks, and am seriously kicking myself that I didn’t just put that money towards a drysuit. A seaskin ultra neoprene at the basic end runs about 600 dollars.

I also agree with @runsongas. For those temperatures for more than one dive, it’ll be miserable. You won’t die, but it’s harder to motivate. I bought a 8/7 semidry for about 500 bucks, and am seriously kicking myself that I didn’t just put that money towards a drysuit. A seaskin ultra neoprene at the basic end runs about 600 dollars.

Drysuit would be my preferred direction, but as a only HS Teacher, the funds are not there. That said, this whole trip is because my daughter is doing her 3rd and 4th year of medical school in Upper New England area. If she gets her residency up there too (and not Florida) then it will be my turn to bat my eye lashes and say pretty please. :) Since she loves diving more then I, it should not be to hard.

Have you checked the local operators to see if they rent drysuits. That would be one option. If Bare fits right go that route. The other would be a custom wetsuit.

Have you checked the local operators to see if they rent drysuits. That would be one option. If Bare fits right go that route. The other would be a custom wetsuit.

They do not rent Dry. Yes Bare fits well, just making sure they where a good option for the real cold or if there where better options. I have been been slowly moving away from Huish for, quality control seems to have taken a hit on many of their products.

Drysuit would be my preferred direction, but as a only HS Teacher, the funds are not there. That said, this whole trip is because my daughter is doing her 3rd and 4th year of medical school in Upper New England area. If she gets her residency up there too (and not Florida) then it will be my turn to bat my eye lashes and say pretty please. :) Since she loves diving more then I, it should not be to hard.

I kind of figured you had your reasons for asking about a 7mm wetsuit rather than a drysuit. It’s not like you haven’t heard about them.

I have seen the Seaskin neoprene drysuit in person recently and I have to say that for the price (I think its like 475 with no options and no VAT, 900ish full of options and shipped to US) it's one heck of a suit.

I kind of figured you had your reasons for asking about a 7mm wetsuit rather than a drysuit. It’s not like you haven’t heard about them.

Yeah, unless you are cave diving, we do not have much need for Dry Suites in Florida. :) Shorts and the occasional shorty is 90% of my diving, Caverns I pull out the heavy duty 3mm. Silly thing though, is I do use the 6.5mm Forth Element boots, always. They are just so comfy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom