Sidemount reg options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sparklemuffin

Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks. I know this has been covered a lot but here goes.
After years of backmount diving I've just completed a TDI sidemount course and am pretty much hooked now.
During the course, I used a backmount oriented first stage and non optimised hose lengths for my left hand short cylinder. The right cylinder had a borrowed sidemount set up for the long hose with a rotating turret. I quickly realised that the hose routing was not ideal on my left and am now in the market for a pair of first and second stages.
I currently dive the Oceanic FDXI and Zeo in backmount which have given me years of flawless service in multiple different climates, wetsuit (or not) and drysuit. For this reason alone I don't think I'll even consider piston regs as well as simplifying the choices automatically. The size and weight of this reg set has also been good for travel.

With this in mind, I have been doing a lot of reading and research both here and elsewhere looking for ideas and opinions on which regs to get for sidemount. I want something that can cover longer term training in deco procedures and less technical overseas trips to warmer climates as well possibly intro to cave/cavern.
Typically, the regs that keep popping up are the Apeks XTX50 with DST with 5th port and rotating turret. However, I'm also seriously considering the Scubapro MK17 evo as it's smaller and lighter for travel. Scubapro have also just brought out the MK19 evo which is effectively a Mk17 evo with a rotating turret, but it's not available for a couple of months yet. Paired with the Scubapro I'm looking at the S620ti, S600 or G260. I'm aware that only the G260 has the option of reversible hose routing. The appeal of the S620ti is that it's even lighter than the Zeo, and the S600 is almost the same weight as the Zeo for much less money than it's titanium brother. The XTX50 is reg is relatively large and weighs more (I think) though from what I've read most owners say it breathes nicely
The FDXI is over balanced, and I think this set up breathes really easily and sits well in the mouth since it's fairly small. I don't have any real experience with Scubapro but on the spec sheet I can see that the MK17 evo is balanced whereas the Apeks is over balanced.

As far as I can see, the only real advantage of having a rotating turret seems to be the potential for reducing hose kinks when donating the long hose. Please add to this if there are other reasons I'm not aware of.
The disadvantage, presumably is the weight for travel and as I've been told, arguably, less streamlined hose routing.
Through the forum I've seen a few people posting about their use of first stages in sidemount without rotating turrets and it certainly seems viable.

So what's the point of the post? I suppose I'm just looking for additional thoughts and opinions based on the above. to help with my decision. Do you dive with a turret first stage, have you found it useful? If you have a 5th port do you really use it? If your diving is predominantly not cave in the immediate future but you do want to travel to dive, how much do you value lower weight regs? Do you value reversible second stage hose routing, why?

For my daily recreational single tank stuff, scubapro mk 17 with g260.
Bombproof, current set done 1500 dives.
For sidemount 2 x mk 25 with g260.
5th port essential for ease of routing of inflator hose.
Swivel makes hose routing easier and more comfortable.
Given up trying to save a few ounces here and there.
If I need it I travel with it.

FWIW, I use the Apeks but that's all I have ever used for SM so I will not try and offer up some false comparisons. Plenty of other great options available.
The rotation is nice before you even hit the water. You can route the hoses downward for stowing them in the retainers during transport and then rotate upwards to start diving.
I travel with this reg set all the time. I wouldn't ever worry about a pound here nor there. As a matter of fact I'm counting the days (9) before I'm in Akumal and heading to cenotes. :)

FWIW,
The rotation is nice before you even hit the water. You can route the hoses downward for stowing them in the retainers during transport and then rotate upwards to start diving.
Forgot about that advantage, I just take it for granted now.

For my daily recreational single tank stuff, scubapro mk 17 with g260.
Bombproof, current set done 1500 dives.
For sidemount 2 x mk 25 with g260.
5th port essential for ease of routing of inflator hose.
Swivel makes hose routing easier and more comfortable.
Given up trying to save a few ounces here and there.
If I need it I travel with it.

Thanks Terry, appreciate the reply. I dive and Xdeep Stealth 2.0 Tec and did find the low pressure routing off the fixed first stage a bit annoying. Granted I wasn't using the Mk17 evo which has a much different port layout but I think I understand why the 5th port can be handy. Someone else suggested if using a fixed first stage why not run a longer LP hose and wrap it around the tank to take up the slack.

FWIW, I use the Apeks but that's all I have ever used for SM so I will not try and offer up some false comparisons. Plenty of other great options available.
I travel with this reg set all the time. I wouldn't ever worry about a pound here nor there. As a matter of fact I'm counting the days (9) before I'm in Akumal and heading to cenotes. :)

That's a good point.

Thanks Terry, appreciate the reply. I dive and Xdeep Stealth 2.0 Tec and did find the low pressure routing off the fixed first stage a bit annoying. Granted I wasn't using the Mk17 evo which has a much different port layout but I think I understand why the 5th port can be handy. Someone else suggested if using a fixed first stage why not run a longer LP hose and wrap it around the tank to take up the slack.
I use the original xdeep.
6 inch hose works fine with 5th port, I use a miflex hose because it just sits better, a long hose wrapped around a tank is going to be very fiddly when passing tanks up to a boat in busy seas, certainly doable with practice though.
I customized the hose lengths on all my regs after I was well practiced with my set up. I also use mk 25 as deco regs, just makes life easy to keep all the same.
The "daily use" mk 17 will get replaced with mk25 when and if it dies. That will give me a usable spare as I hate not having the swivel for sm.

The way I see it, for Sidemount diving a rotating turret is the only way to go. I have used firsts from UTD, DiveRite and Deep 6. I currently use Deep 6 firsts and seconds on my Sidemount setup and they travel with me. I have taken them to Thailand and they will go with me to Malta/Gozo in May.

Streamlined hose routing is best accomplished with the rotating turret for the reasons others have stated above.

I have used the DiveRite regs, dived the Apeks variants a couple of times and then all sorts of Franken-rigs. The swivel is, for me, indispensable. The 5th port is super useful for me for DS inflator, I can take it or leave it for wing inflator but it is nice.

For the last 2 years I have been using almost exclusively Deep6 for my SM, bailout and deco regs. Do everything I ask, easy to get parts for and serviced, well-priced and light to travel with.

I use the original xdeep.
6 inch hose works fine with 5th port, I use a miflex hose because it just sits better, a long hose wrapped around a tank is going to be very fiddly when passing tanks up to a boat in busy seas, certainly doable with practice though.
I customized the hose lengths on all my regs after I was well practiced with my set up. I also use mk 25 as deco regs, just makes life easy to keep all the same.
The "daily use" mk 17 will get replaced with mk25 when and if it dies. That will give me a usable spare as I hate not having the swivel for sm.
Appreciate your point about having everything the same, especially if I train towards deco bottles and so on. I was able to dive a borrowed set of XTX50's/DST today and they were, as anticipated, predictable, comfortable and nice to breathe from. Hose routing was also pretty clean despite not being personalised for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom