New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am running the DeWalt 60V/20V 12AH batteries.
I did an 80min dive and still had 2 bars on the batteries left running at 3 most of the time.
So if doing normal 6omin dive, I could get in 2x dives at least.
That's more than enough for a day in chilly Monterey,

I figure, I might as well go big on the batteries.

If on the fence, just go for it and get the 12AH batteries.

Depends on how you plan to use them and where you want to spend your money.

Apples to apples a pair of 9Ah Waitley will only give about 80% of the run time of a pair of 9Ah DeWalt batteries. In turn apples to oranges, a pair of 9Ah Waitley batteries will only give about 60% of the tun time of a pair of 12 Ah DeWalts.

On the other hand, you can buy a set of 9 Ah Waitleys for $140, compared to $500 for a pair of 12 Ah DeWalts, and three sets of the 9 Ah Waitley batteries for just $420.

At just 60% run time per set of 9 Ah Waitleys compared to 12 Ah DeWalts, two sets gives you 120% of the DeWalt run time and three sets gives you 180% of the run time you'd get with a single set of 12 Ah DeWalts.

If you are using 12 Ah DeWalts and have enough left after 1 dive to do at least one more dive, then you don't need the 12 Ah DeWalt performance. You'd be better off with 3 sets of 9 Ah Waitley batteries. You'd always have a fresh set to start dives 1, 2 and 3, and by the time you are ready for dive 4, the first set would be fully charged. You can run all day with three sets, if you ever dive somewhere with warmer water. It's what I do with our demo BlackTip where the scooter potentially gets quick turned between divers with little or no surface interval.

Even with just 2 sets of Waitley batteries, by the time you've completed dive 2 and the surface interval, the set from the first dive is charged again, and you can still run all day on just 2 sets with a surface interval.

There is no zero bars on the Blacktip, one bar is 0-25%.

Exactly.

Given the cut off point around 20% (for the Waitley batteries at least, for dive planning and battery monitoring purposes, the takeaway for BlackTip divers needs to be that as soon as they no longer see 2 bars, they are very close to the end of usable battery charge.

Having 1 bar remaining does not mean you have 25% of the usable battery charge remaining, it means you are sucking the bottom out of the usable charge.

Found another shipping case option from a Texas (USA) company. Pending a phone call when they open back up on Monday, I think I’ll go with this instead of the SBK case.

Condition 1 Rolling Transport Case 101286 Transport Shipping

I think it will be pretty slick to fly the BlackTip as checked baggage in a rugged case.

Super excited about my PADI Specialty courses coming up in April. I’m taking one for DPV Barrel Rolls and another for DPV Loopty Loops. Some day I hope to join the elite for the synchronized DPV swim Olympics.

Found another shipping case option from a Texas (USA) company. Pending a phone call when they open back up on Monday, I think I’ll go with this instead of the SBK case.

Condition 1 Rolling Transport Case 101286 Transport Shipping

I think it will be pretty slick to fly the BlackTip as checked baggage in a rugged case.

Super excited about my PADI Specialty courses coming up in April. I’m taking one for DPV Barrel Rolls and another for DPV Loopty Loops. Some day I hope to join the elite for the synchronized DPV swim Olympics.
I like the handle but it uses valuable space and weight. This case is 25 lbs vs just under 20 lbs for the nanuk960. I got the 960 without the foam and use 2 wetsuits to pad the unit in the case. The price is good if you want the foam as it is included for the price of an empty 960.

Mine is packed and ready to fly 3-12. I can't wait.

That’s a great point....I had checked the SKB case and found the weight about the same as the Nanuk 960 but waived off because of the shipping cost. Obviously I overlooked checking out the weight for the Condition 1 case and 5lb is a lot. I did another search for the Nanuk and found it for $237 from B&H Photo with only $15 shipped to my US address. I think I’m going to re-aim my debit card.

Thanks for pointing that out. You‘ve earned a Good Samaritan diver badge for your deed!

Zack electronics
229.45 + 16.50 shipping will save you 5$ more. Received it in 6 days

Just a heads up for other neophytes who might not have expected this: based on a post elsewhere, it occurred to me to check whether my compass (the standard kayak compass) is affected by the motor. So I sat down on the floor with my Blacktip and found that if the compass is slid up front, or is in the middle of the tube, and I turn on the motor, the needle doesn't seem to move, but if it's back toward the back of the tube, it does.

Now I have to figure out why my DPV (kayak) compass, my EON Core compass, my iPhone compass, and my backpacking compass, all seem to have minor disagreements on direction. It does seem odd that all of their needles swing when by each other, but not when by a big DPV (albeit one that isn't running).

Nanuk 960 with foam on the way.

$237 out the door with free expedited shipping from B&H Photo in Noo Yawk.

I tried that deal but they were back ordered with no expectation date so I changed vendors as I didn't want to sweat getting it at the last minute. I actually had it coming in orange. I would have liked that or the graphite but settled for the black to get the sure thing on having it here in time to prepack and relax. Headed to Coz for an extended leave.

Back
Top Bottom