Diving with redundancy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Open Ocean Diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just curious what others thought about diving with an H-valve while diving recreationally? Seems like a good idea to me for redundancy and self-reliance, but I’m not sure of the downside if any.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Kevin

If you want true redundancy, either doubles or a pony.

You’re diving locally? If so, pretty similar water temps to what I dive. I don’t know if anyone who uses a H-valve locally. Doubles or pony (usually AL40) here.

And, yes, I see a number of locals here who dive doubles for recreational profiles.

An H valve gives you a second regulator but not redundant air. So it’s not a bad thing to use, but doubles, sidemount, or pony are better options Imho.

I was just curious what others thought about diving with an H-valve while diving recreationally? Seems like a good idea to me for redundancy and self-reliance, but I’m not sure of the downside if any.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Kevin

Redundancy in any aspect of dive gear is nice in principle, but in practice a question one might ask is whether the risk outweighs the hassle. Risk is sometimes defined as the combination of the probability of harm and the severity of the harm if it occurs.

The hassle here is having to own, transport, and maintain yet another first stage. Not a major hassle, but still, part of the beauty of recreational diving is its simplicity. The goal is to maximize fun while staying safe enough. "Self-reliance," as you mention, is good, but improving buddy procedures is the more standard way--that is, the way the major dive agencies teach--of dealing with problems. Before resorting to more gear, consider whether the kind of diving you do is amenable to improved buddy procedures. If what you are doing is more like solo diving than what the dive agencies classically consider "recreational" diving, then maybe take a course in solo diving and gear up like a solo diver.

How often do first stages (that have been properly maintained) fail in a way that suddenly cuts off your gas supply? I would say extremely rarely, unless you're diving in near-freezing conditions, in which case I would argue that much like the solo diving I mentioned above, you're no longer doing classic "recreational" diving; now you need to think more like a technical diver, and yes, that means redundant gear of some sort. You probably should NOT rely on a buddy for dealing with first stage freezes, because two divers breathing off the donor's first stage is likely to result in the donor's first stage freezing up as well. For redundancy, H-valves seem more popular in Europe, whereas ponies are more popular in the US.

You know, my wife has told me for 38 years that if I did not have a job and take out the trash, I would be completely redundant. Or superfluous. So, every time I dive, I am diving with redundancy.

They way most H-Valves are designed, it makes them a tad hard to shut down if you have a free-flow from the H post. And if you adjust the valve so you can be reached then the first stage and hoses are all going in a funky direction. So, IMHO, H-valves actually reduce your redundancy.

You want true redundancy, run doubles.

I agree that redundancy should mean another tank and not just another 2nd stage.

If you want true redundancy, either doubles or a pony.

You’re diving locally? If so, pretty similar water temps to what I dive. I don’t know if anyone who uses a H-valve locally. Doubles or pony (usually AL40) here.

And, yes, I see a number of locals here who dive doubles for recreational profiles.

Why dive with tanks on your back when you can have them in your side?:eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

Open water redundancy? Use an AL40. Solo, it should be enough to get to the surface unless you screwed up and went into big deco. With a buddy? know how to deploy it so that it's clipped to your buddy's kit after they are comfortable breathing off of it for a minute or two. Don't use a crap regulator

I agree that redundancy should mean another tank and not just another 2nd stage.

Why dive with tanks on your back when you can have them in your side?:eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

Oh, really, eh? :shakehead::poke:

Back
Top Bottom