measuring heartbeat underwater with dry-suits (no wirst-sensors)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ginti

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out an efficient way to measure my heartbeat underwater.

I dive with dry-suits and dry-gloves, so wrist-sensor is not an option.

I have a garmin descent mk1, and I tried to use a garmin toracic belt (the one designed for triathlon), but it doesn't work at all. Garmin support told me they cannot help me, since the belt is designed for triathlon and not for diving (meaning they never tested it in such conditions, and do't know what can go wrong).

Has any of you ever tried to do something similar? Can you share your esperience?

Thanks!

Polar OH1 and Wahoo Tickr is worn in the underarm och upper arm. It is also way more accurate than wrist worn sensors.

If you can source an inexpensive Garmin, like a FR 235, you could put it on the inside of your DS so the signal from your chest belt sensor to the watch is unimpeded by the water. You’d have to adjust the watch settings to make sure it doesn’t turn off from inactivity and you’d only be able to recall the data after the dive but it would give you what you’re looking for in the end (I think).

It appears the Garmin HRM-Tri and HRM-Swim store HR information and then forwards to the compatible device

Scubapro has used a chest strap for HR for several computers, still does for the G2

It appears the Garmin HRM-Tri and HRM-Swim store HR information and then forwards to the compatible device

Scubapro has used a chest strap for HR for several computers, still does for the G2

Yes I know that the belt store data, the problem is afterwards... When I swim, for instance, everything is perfect: all the data stored is transferred to the computer. When I dive, I also can transfer the stored data... but the stored data is horrible, and available only for very short periods of time during the dive; 90% of the data is missing! I don't know if I am doing something wrong...

Good to know that scubapro does it, maybe I can even connect the belt with my garmin, I'll check

...Good to know that scubapro does it, maybe I can even connect the belt with my garmin, I'll check

Not at all likely, MK1 would not have the antenna/receiver...other needed support

Maybe the MK2 will have both AI and HRM:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom