New TG-6 Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still think using a cable is better no matter in what mode you use your camera. I repeat Ihave not used the TG-6 ( I will have it by the end of next month in a Seagfrogs hosuing).
I imagine the the light of built-in flash passing thru the plastic of housing might be weak and might not trigger the external (at least that happens with the housing I have owned (not many: Fantasea fon Canon G7X and Seafrogs for Sony 6300).
There are afordable options for fiber optic cable. You can by it by lenght with the connectors needed for your housing and strobe in www.divervsion.com.

The built-in flash is enough to trigger the external strobe, but the timing is off. That's what confused me for so long since my strobe is firing and everything seems fine. Then online resources such as Backscatter, INON, or other websites all state that you don't HAVE to have a cable, just turn flash to fill-in, and set the strobe to STTL.

I agree with those who state that using an optical sych cord works with the S2000. I have the TG-6 & Oly housing and bought an Inon S2000 specially for this rig due to it's size. I have found it works perfectly for me in macro and longer-range shots (when vis here allows). I do use a sync cord.

I also find some kind of focus light is nice. I have a Big Blue spot/video light that I like; I usually keep it on the lowest wide-angle setting (not spot) and it works well for video and focus.

The built-in flash is enough to trigger the external strobe, but the timing is off. That's what confused me for so long since my strobe is firing and everything seems fine. Then online resources such as Backscatter, INON, or other websites all state that you don't HAVE to have a cable, just turn flash to fill-in, and set the strobe to STTL.

Reading this brought me to a different point. If fact as skl007 says one would not need a cable with the S-2000 and a TG in a housing (that will not be the case with the S&S YS-01) . I checked and found that housings for TG have a "window" with a diffuser intended to use the camera without an external strobe (of course with no the same results as with it). BUT,,,,a big but, I will not want the internal flash lighting the scene when using the external strobes. I just want the light in the direction I choose for the strobes.
If any of you have this same issue or concern how have you solved it? Painting black the diffuser on the housing?

When I purchased a Backscatter “Air” lens, it came with a black diffuser replacement which allowed sync cord to be plugged in vertically instead of horizontally using a PT059 housing. The housing itself came with a diffuser cover to attach strobes.

Use a piece of exposed and developed film placed over the camera strobe. If you can find some. Inon provides a piece of film with some of their strobe kits. N

I agree with those who state that using an optical sych cord works with the S2000. I have the TG-6 & Oly housing and bought an Inon S2000 specially for this rig due to it's size. I have found it works perfectly for me in macro and longer-range shots (when vis here allows). I do use a sync cord.

I also find some kind of focus light is nice. I have a Big Blue spot/video light that I like; I usually keep it on the lowest wide-angle setting (not spot) and it works well for video and focus.

Me too! I use a BigBlue flood light on the lowest setting.

Reading this brought me to a different point. If fact as skl007 says one would not need a cable with the S-2000 and a TG in a housing (that will not be the case with the S&S YS-01) . I checked and found that housings for TG have a "window" with a diffuser intended to use the camera without an external strobe (of course with no the same results as with it). BUT,,,,a big but, I will not want the internal flash lighting the scene when using the external strobes. I just want the light in the direction I choose for the strobes.
If any of you have this same issue or concern how have you solved it? Painting black the diffuser on the housing?

When the strobe is firing correctly I can't tell that there's any illumination from the built-in flash, so I think you'll be fine. If not, electrical tape!

Thanks for your replies.
I ordered the Seafrogs housing. It seems it does not ship with any accesory for this so I will do it by myself.

Me too! I use a BigBlue flood light on the lowest setting.

I have two Big Blue VL4200P and find them great for video and photography. I think strobes are better for non close up shots and lights are better for close up and macro which is mainly what I do with the TG6.

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom